Chapter 6

Chapter 6

I had never experienced romance. It was a fantasy - something I only read about in novels and imagined in my mind.

With the optimistic hope that I'd meet my significant other in college, I welcomed Matt with open arms. However, after several months, I came to a shattering conclusion that Matt failed to be everything I expected. What they had described in the novels didn't apply to my own relationship. He didn't spontaneously show up at my doorstep with flowers, never once bought me a present for Valentine's Day, and when he actually gave me a box of chocolates, it was the outcome of a fifty percent off sale following Halloween. 

To complete the whole tragedy of my reality, he only left two pieces for me - even then, I considered myself lucky.

Contrast to everything I had been through with my past relationship, Nate Chester was a dream come true.

Because of my failed attempt at a love life, I had grown out of my belief in prince charming, fairy-tales, soul mates, and love at first sight. But last night, Nate proved to me that they were all possibilities, and I had merely taken the wrong direction my first time down the dirt road of love. Or whatever I was starting to feel with him.

He barely opened up about his past, but he didn't need to because I never bothered to ask. With us, nothing of his past mattered.

He questioned me, though, asked about what made my life different than everyone he'd come across. Unlike Bessa and Kevin, I didn't feel quite as nervous or flustered. What shocked me most was that instead of harassing me for how very little in excitement my life sounded, Nate listened intently and clung onto my every word. He applauded my achievements, laughed at the embarrassing moments, and even congratulated himself when I admitted that the night we met was the most exciting night I've ever had.

I was overwhelmed with Nate Chester, though not like I had been before. I had an increasing level of comfort in his presence; a sensuality I never thought would arise.

After paying for dinner, he escorted me for a walk around Central Park. It was serene and natural scenery away from the city scapes. Sure, it was a complete violation of the pact we'd agreed upon, to avoid each other strictly for the entirety of our employments, but it easily slipped both our minds. It might have been the fluidity in the smoothness of the night, the wall of tension that had broken down between us, or the enclosing silence that left us with the notion that we were the only two people left in the world. Any of these could serve as the possibility to why Nate had opened up to me about his future.

He explained that one day, even though it was in his birthright, he did actually want to own Chester Publications, not to live the legacy, but to leave his own. Not surprisingly, he disagreed with most of his father's ideas and even more, the way he ran the company. I stared in bewilderment as he listed the various ways he'd make the company more enjoyable for his employees - more health benefits, vacation days, and a little more room to breathe in a corporate world.

"What does that four stand for?" I pointed to the finger sticking out from where his had crossed his arms. He held out the hand above us as we walked through a maze of trees. I had been curious about the inked number since the night we met.

I could see his teeth gleaming through the blackness of the night. "That's a story for next time."

I arched a brow. "Next time? 

He lowered the hand down letting it caress the side of my face. My skin burned underneath his but I didn't inch or push him away. "If there ever is one." 

I shook my head furiously. "There can't be. We're already pushing it over the edge just being here tonight."

Nate let out a large sigh. "I know. To be frank, I don't know what we're doing. I don't know what's going on."