Chapter 9

Chapter 9

The disco lights above were blinking, causing my eyes to jump around. I had lost track of time on the dance floor and Bessa had left to follow Tony off into the crowd a while ago. Now that I had gotten off the dance floor and began walking around the sweaty bodies that were all in sync, moving to the rhythm of the bass, I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Whoa there."

A deep voice caught my attention. I felt a strong hand grip my elbow as I stumbled off the glass floor of the club. I whipped my head to find who had grabbed me and saw a pair of dazzling eyes that I easily recognized staring back at me. The scent that clouded my nose brought back the goose bumps I had once felt, sitting at the bar at the front of this same club.

"Nate," I breathed out, smelling the alcohol on my own breath.

His eyes widened once he realized who I was. "Haley? What are you doing here?"

I stood up straighter, as much as these four-inch heels could allow, and now was face-to-face with him. Before I could respond, he took my arm again, pulling me into a dark corner where the music wasn't as loud.

Once I caught a real good look at him, I was winded.

Underneath the white collared dress shirt, a mountain of muscles peeked from the rolled up sleeves. His waistline was defined by the belt that held up a pair of navy blue pants that were fitted and completed by a pair of light brown lace up patent shoes. Even in this dim lighting, I could see that unforgettable dimple and the way his hair lightly brushed his brows.

It all rushed back to me when I stared into his eyes. This feeling was all too familiar - intoxication, Nate's scent, and this club. I was right back to the first night in New York when this same man in front of me changed everything.

"You look incredible," He complimented as his eyes trailed my body up and down. I didn't even feel insecure this time because now, I fit in with the rest of the club. The dark dress had now ridden up, only simply covering my butt, revealing my long legs. I had a pair of strappy red heels where my toes barely poked out. Luckily, I had brushed on just a bit of mascara and black eyeliner. My hair was down and since I had straightened it, it flowed smoothly with every movement my head made. So long Taylor Swift, hello Beyoncé.

I blushed. "You don't look bad yourself."

"It can't be a coincidence that we're here on the same night at the same place," He said in a gruffly voice. I wanted to grab him when I caught sight of the suggestive way his gaze attacked me.

"Are you alone?" I asked, feeling our bodies naturally leaning into each other. I placed a hand on my hip to avoid it from wrapping around his neck.

"I'm here with a couple of my friends," He spoke softly but sternly into my ear. His breath tickled the nerves of my skin.

"Oh," I shuddered. "I'm here with the rest of the interns."

He quickly whipped his head back. "They're here? All of them?"

I smiled slowly and poked his nose. "Don't worry, they're scattered around some where. I think Bessa and Tony might hook up tonight."

Nate scrunched his nose. "That's not something a boss wants to hear..."

I threw my head back and laughed, letting the bubbling in my chest take over. "Says the boss who's at a night club."

He raised a brow but smiled, sending me over the edge. I looked away before the alcohol could make me do something I knew I'd regret. But, with the flick of his finger, Nate chucked my chin so I was staring back at him.