Chapter 17

Chapter 17

November's article had been sent in and publishing would start next week. It's been quite the chaotic month, what with doing research for my article, editing and piecing together the interview I had with Queenie, and of course, dealing with the stress that was the EPAA Gala. Sarah was right to give me that day off, even if I did end up working with Kevin. I needed the few hours that I had of relaxation to myself.

Now that the winter issue was on full swing, everything was back to chaos. The December issue was the biggest source of advertisement revenue for the year, which meant it must be prestine and Bible-perfect worthy for print.

That also meant working overtime to make sure that the three articles Sarah had assigned were going to be mind-blowing. Sometimes, I forgot working here was a competition between me and the rest of the interns because of how much I loved my work. Writing pieces that allowed me to express creativity and speak my voice was a dream - I couldn't be more lucky.

It's been a week since my day off, and that's also the last time I saw Nate because of how quickly the December issue was taking off. The pace has been put on fast forward and everyone moved as if on high alert. It's the double issue times one-hundred. I'm sure the stress had doubled on him which was proven by the amount of time I've seen him in his office this week, which has only been twice.

To be honest, I found myself inclined to ignore him, walking the other way whenever he was headed in my direction, averting my eyes when we made contact for a quick moment. I would like to blame most of my actions on that phone call he made concerning some contract and his friend Blake. I was put off by the fact that it was so easy for someone with such a tragic history to make that type of offense to a person close to him.

Nate Chester wasn't the perfect man I've always seen him to be. Every god had a flaw.

"Haley, what do you think of these?"

I glanced up from my laptop screen to find Kevin holding two large mirrors. The first was circular with a gold geometric frame and the other, rectangular with a black baroque styled frame.

"Uh," My eyes are confused as to which one I liked better. "Yes?"

He leaned his head forward, expecting me to continue. "Yes, to which one?"

"Both of them are gorgeous," I replied. "Are you choosing between the two?"

"No, it's either both or none. Apparently I can't return only one part of a set, and even if I did, the store only gives back store credit," He rolled his eyes. "If I ever move in with a girl, she's doing the decorating. I have come to a conclusion that interior designing is not my thing."

"You're only now realizing that? I figured that out about myself a long time ago."

"Hey, your apartment looks decent. You've got a little bit of HGTV going on in there. The only thing taking up space in my living room is a couch and a TV," He informed me, setting the mirrors down. "I can't wait for this Gala to be over with. I'll never have to visit a decoration website ever again."

"If you get the promotion and continue working here, you might have too," I reminded him.

"Luckily, it'll work out in your favor because we're aware you're getting that promotion," He shrugged his shoulder.

"Why do you say that?"

He scoffed. "I'm sure I'm not the first person who's told you that you're the best intern here, right?" His face lit up when he sees me blush. "At least you're modest about it Monroe. Nothing to be ashamed of."

"I'm not the best intern here. You're articles are great! I especially loved the piece you wrote about a soldier's surprise Halloween with his family," I responded genuinely.