nine

River Phoenix

All last week Ellamara, Ode, Ada, and I have been protesting. I've been careful, and I made sure I didn't show my face anywhere my dad could see it. I just got in after being with Ellamara for the past three hours. I opened the door making sure as quiet as a mouse. So far I was so good until I heard a voice in the dark. "Well River thanks for you to come in" I knew that voice, that voice was the voice of my father. "Dad what are you doing up so late it's one in the morning" I asked. "Good question it is one in the morning and what have you been doing up to so late" He didn't answer the question, but asked one. I didn't answer his question. "Well you don't have to answer my question. Because I already know where you have been. You've been with that girl haven't you?" He said. "I don't know what you are talking about" I said. My dad held up a newspaper for me to see. "River that's where you have been all this time haven't you. You have been protesting with that girl. She's no good for you. She's hurting your image, don't you see that." My dad said. I feel his slap across my face. Pain hits everywhere. To my eyes, nose, and cheek. I push dad so he wouldn't hit me again. "Not everything have to be about race, she's a great person if you just got to know her. But you don't the only you see is black and white. I don't get how you live like this." I yelled.

************************************************

After the big talk with my dad. He sent me to my room, and banned me from ever seeing her again. But after my dad went to bed. I went out the window. Taking my bike with me all the way to the Williams house. When I got there I didn't go in side. I knew Ellamara was probably in bed, and I didn't want to wake her. So I sat at their porch my head bent down praying that this Mrs. Williams and Mr. Williams can see me now. I hope they can see me fighting for their kids' freedom. And I hope they are proud me.