Chapter Nine

It's Friday night and I've somehow managed to get Cameron to put on a Crossroads High School sweatshirt with our team name on the back, Go Wildcats! which we both agree is probably the most common team name ever

 It's Friday night and I've somehow managed to get Cameron to put on a Crossroads High School sweatshirt with our team name on the back, Go Wildcats! which we both agree is probably the most common team name ever. Then again it's at least not something lame like Racoons or Wombats. I would love to see a team be named something out of the ordinary. The kind of name you'd have to look up on the internet just to see what the heck it is. Like Crossroads High Mongeese for example. I think that's a classic name but Cameron thought it would sound like we were insulting ourselves if that was our team name. Always bursting my bubble, that one. I ended up having to tear through my closet in search of my team hoodie and we both end up looking like fire since our school colors just so happen to be red, white, and yellow. Which is also why we have a very punny school saying that we break out at every football game with a big banner that reads 'Wildcats Play With Fire' and I will admit that it actually is a little catchy. I now see how Mongeese would be a bit tricky when it came to finding a catchy phrase. Besides that, we downplay the school colors a bit by wearing dark jeans and black sneakers, even though Cameron complains that we look like we're trying to look like twins but I tell her to shut up and do her hair.  

"Why are we even going to this thing anyway?" she asks as I brush her hair up into a high ponytail. "I don't even like football."

"You don't have to like it," I tell her. "You just have to watch it with me." Even though I'm not exactly the biggest fan of the sport either but we're not gonna mention that right now.

"Since when do you care about the football games?" she asks handing me a hair tie. "You've been to like one since we started school here and I'm pretty sure you were reading the entire time. Why the sudden change?"

"Well, unlike some people," I say tightening up the ponytail and making Cameron wince, "I want to add a little more variety into my Friday nights. Plus, I was fifteen at the first game and I had no idea what was even going on."

"And now you do know?" she asks like she doesn't quite believe me.

"Cam, I watch football with dad every Sunday," I reply.

"You do?" she asks surprised. "I thought she stopped making you watch it with him like, years ago."

"Okay, well," I stammer, "I started back up again last season. I'm pretty sure I told you like a million times." I have to make it seem like I actually care about football and the school game if I'm going to get Cameron to come with me so she can 'accidentally' run into Jace. Please, God, let me sound believable.

"Oh, I always thought you were joking," she says fixing her lip gloss in the mirror. Phew.

"I do other things besides reading and studying, you know." We switch places so that Cameron can fix up my hair and I'm sitting down, ready to hand her bobby pins and hairspray.

"Like studying what you should read next?" she replies. "Hmm, let's see, reread Perly Jackson or start on some other series that no one cares about?"