Chapter 5

I walked back to my bed and hugged my doll close to me. Submerged in my thoughts, I was surprised to hear the front door open then close. Usually when ever my parents left they told me good bye, no matter what time it was or for what reason. Frowning, I put my ear to my door again, to hear nothing. No humming or shuffling of feet. Nothing indicated there was anyone in the house. I sighed and went back to my bed. They left me. Then, I got an idea. I was all alone in my house. Walking towards my door yet again, I put my hand on the handle. I had never tried leaving my room, even when my parents did go out. Should I really do this? Should I leave and break the one and only solid, permanent rule that I had? I knew when I left I'd never want to go back, I'd want to come out again. Resisting the tempation, I let go of the handle and grabbed a book from one of the bookshelves in my room. Reading cleared my head for a little while, transporting me to a different place. Books had always been my escape. But this time, I didn't get into the book as much as I had wanted to. I was still yearning for outside. I looked at the door, and then jumped at the sound of the front door opening. Holding my hand over my heart and smiling, I got up and sat on my bed, but kept reading. My mother came in with a small smile, but I could see the tear streaks on her face.

"Dear, I want you to drink this with your lunch, ok?" she asked, trying to keep her voice from cracking.

"What's wrong mother? Why are you crying?" I asked, concern clearly in my voice.

"Oh nothing, just worrying for everyone." she said before turning towards my door.

"Wait! Why am I not allowed out of my room?" I asked. Maybe now I'd get more informed.

"Because of your birthmark of course. I will not let you get hurt, or let you leave me." she said before leaving. I frowned, thinking of what she had said. When she said the last part, she sounded so possessive it was scary. Shaking my head a little, I kept reading and soon my worrying went away.

When lunch came, I hid the blue bottle so mother wouldn't think of it. I had a feeling I didn't need what was in it. I wasn't sick, and I didn't feel hurt, so I decided against drinking it. Mother came and gave me lunch, then left with out a word or a smile. I was really starting to worry about her. Eating, I looked around my room. Was I really going to live in here my entire life? Surely when I got older Mother or Father would take me out? At least once? I shook my head, already knowing the sad answer. No. They would never take me out, they loved me too much. With a sigh I started praying for the day to end so I wouldn't have to think of these things, I could dream of leaving. I could dream of running away and never coming back. But even in subcoscience I knew I would miss mother and father too much to go far or even to leave forever. And I wouldn't know anything about the outside. I'd probably hurt myself. Finished with lunch, I slid the tray under the door and kept reading. I was surprised when mother came in and gave me dinner. Had I really read that long? It didn't feel like it. She left again without a word, and I was starting to feel as though it was my fault. I all of a suddenly felt un-hungary and sat the plate down on the floor. Thinking of today brought back the image of the blue bottle into my mind. I pulled it out from under my pillow and drank it. I almost choked on it as it tasted absolutly revolting. Picking my dinner up again, I ate it all and then got ready for bed. Shutting the light out, I curled up and closed my eyes. Sleepiness overwhelmed me faster then I thought it would and I was out before I knew it.