Chapter 4: "What can I tell you my lady...Love lies."

𝑀𝒶𝓇𝒾𝓃𝑒𝓉𝓉𝑒

"Chat noir? What-What are you doing here?" She asked surprised, for she haven't seen her partner in years. After her "disappearance" as everyone thought she was dead. Also thinking the miraculous was destroyed and Tikki died with her— Hawkmoth gave up with his plan since without Ladybug's miraculous it was useless.

How did she survive you may ask? That's a story for another time...

"I was patrolling this area before I called a night. What are you doing outside so late?"

"Patrolling? I thought your days as superhero were over. Since you know, Hawkmoth's miraculous hasn't been active since ladybug's death?" She asked with the purpose of changing the conversation.

A sour grim expression came over Chat's face at the mention of his love's death. "I-I only want to make sure the city is save from anyone or anything. I owned it to my lady." He told her bitterly, a clawed hand over his heart.

"I was just asking... I didn't mean to.. I'm sorry for your loss." She look up to him with distress.  Debating if it was okay to touch him or give him a hug. Some sort of comfort but it seemed wrong. She was lying straight to his broken looking face.

He didn't say anything. With more pain that could be described in his eyes, he looked up at the sky. Then back to her. "It's okay. I know you didn't. . I just miss her so much. She never gave me a chance." He chuckled weakly. "I'll literally die waiting for her."

Marinette's eyes widened like saucers. Guilt spearing her heart, the imaginary blade twisting caused of his words. "You. . You're not going to settle with someone else? You'll really spend your life without love because of her?"

"No. How could I settle with someone else? The moment she died my love died along with her. I watched her die slowly, it killed me. It destroyed my whole soul and heart. And I couldn't do anything." He sat down beside her on the bench, his head down. She swore she saw a tear glisten as it ran down his cheek. "I couldn't do a damn thing about it."

She felt terrible guilty and felt for him. It was killing her slowly but she must remain strong. No one must know, or else...

" I won't lie to you though. I tried to force myself to fall in love or at least pretend that I loved. But I couldn't. It only ended for more heartbreak to me, because no matter how hard I try to forget and move on it only felt like I was cheating on her. And love these days is so fake and lifeless. There's no effort from either side, it feels void and eventually both people start to look for attention somewhere else. . " he sighs, "what can I tell you my lady...Love lies."

Marinette placed a hand on his shoulder, meeting his neon green glisten stare. "I understand Chat but I knew Ladybug for a long time too. She would want you to move on, be happy. Believe me. Never forget her but keep going with your life. She'll be there with you." She said softly, caressing his shoulder.

"Yeah you're right. She would have. . " Chat sniffed, regaining his upward position. Letting Marinette's hand slide off but he kept his stare fixed on hers. He looked at her in a way she couldn't describe. It scared her nonetheless since it made her question a couple of things.

Or a certain someone.

"I have to go. . But it was nice seeing a familiar face. I'll see you around." Marinette quickly dismissed the thought and stood to leave. The shade of the trees in the night covering her so she would be hard to spot. She look back for a second and Chat noir was still observing her with a warm gaze.

•••

As soon as she came through the door of her room, she was engulfed into a hug by the toned arms of her fiancé.

"Mari you won't believe it!" Luka exclaimed sweetly, hugging her tightly as he spun he around. "I was invited to come to a international tour!"

"What." She spat dryly.

"Well that wasn't the reaction I was expecting." He murmured, placing her on her feet. His confused eyes looking for answers on hers.

"I-I'm sorry I just.. that's huge! And with everything going on, don't you think it's too much?" Marinette questioned, pushing his chest with her hands for he still had his arms wrapped around her waist. Theirs fronts flush together.

Once free she gave her back to him, staring at the floor as if it had the answers. She knew she was being selfish. Only focusing on her problems not seeing his that important. Tutoring was his dream too, why kind of soon-to-be-wife would she be if she kept pushing his dreams and problems aside? Just because her life wasn't in control.

"I know but I was told if this tour is successful we're going to making good money Mari. For your mom," he tugged her wrist and pulled her back to his chest, "and for that wedding we've been postponing." He grinned cheekily, pecking her cheek.

Marinette sighed uncertainly, "I-I don't know Luka. How long will this trip be?"

He cringed, moving his hands to grip her hips. "Twelve months..."

Agape she stared at him. Her disbelief quickly turned into anger, "so what! I'm supposed to stay here, alone with my mom dying and my dad on a verge of another heart attack while you travel the world, meet chicks, and live the sweet life?!" She yelled, shrugging his hands off.

"Meet chicks?! You know I'll never do that to you!" He gripped her hand and pulled it up, "does this ring mean anything to you? Uh?"

"I should be asking you that question."

Luka took a step back, surprise and hurt most than everything.

"Yeah I said it. Should be here with me! Anything can happen while your away, what if you don't make money? What if it's too late when you come back? For the both of us."

Another knife speared his heart, "W-What are you saying?"

Tears ran down her cheeks, she ripped off the diamond ring from her finger and slap it on his palm, "Go ahead travel the world. Do what ever the fuck you please but don't expect me to be here waiting for you."

Luka made a fist on the ring, "after everything. You can't be happy for me once? I've been here for you always, celebrated your victories and cried in your defeats. Worked every last drop of energy for your mom, for you!" He looked down heartbroken, "the only thing I did was love you with every bit of my heart. I'm sorry that was never enough."

He walked towards the trapdoor, placing the ring on a nightstand close to it. "Just so you know if you had an opportunity like this one I wouldn't hesitate on being happy for you."

With that he disappeared down the trapdoor.

"Luka wait-" she sobbed, chasing after him. By the time she got outside he was nowhere to be seen. She looked side to side, in the spur of the moment she bolted to the right and kept our running into the dark night. "Luka!" She yelled through the streets.

It felt like hours as she kept running through the streets. Her mind was in overdrive, she couldn't stop. She didn't know how much time passed by, but her head fell into darkness somewhere in the streets of Paris.

•••
(Word count: 1289)
-Nicki 🖤