Chapter 8

"There." one of the guards said as he pointed to a break in the trees. In the distance I saw big black squares moving towards us.

"What are those?" I asked.

"Soldiers." The king said as he hung his head.

"They're moving fast sir. We do not have an exact number sir maybe a few hundered.

"That is enough to put the city in danger..." The king thought to himself. Whatever ever he was planning to do he had to do it now because there were troops on their way here and fast. I guess there is no other choice. We must prepare for war. Go evacuate all of the civilians and those who are able to wield a sword make sure they do so."

"They are moving too fast for us to evacuate. They will be here before we get everyone out. We won't be able to fight because have most of our soldiers out fighting battles in others places throughout the land. " the guard said.

"Then we do everything we can do to protect our people!" The king screamed. I was surprised by his assertivness. The queen had more troops than he citizens. If it were me, I would have surrendered. "Go now!" He screamed at the guard and the he ran quickly to do what he was ordered. The king walked over to the balcony and sighed. "I must apologize to you you Simon. You've only spent a few hours here in Written and you've already witnessed the worst of what this place has to offer. I ." 

I started to say something but then Peter had came running towards us."Is it true? The Maleficent is headed this way with troops."

"I am afraid so Peter and she has brought many soliders wtih her."

"Then we fight." Peter said as he looked on with a tenacious look.

"We will but it will not be an easy feat. Her numbers enough to put our citzens in danger."

"That has never stopped us before." Peter tuned to face the king and I. The look on his face was a determined one.

"No it has not but if she keeps attacking we will not have enough soldiers to fight back."

Just then a horrible noise echoed through the air. It was definitely nothing human. It sounded more like a beast or something worse.

"Dragon!" a woman yelled from in the city. Then a jet black figure with wings quickly rose from the city and breathed fire burning everything below it.

"Maleficent." The king said to himself. "Well Nefari, if its a war you want its a war you will get.

I wasn't sure who he was talking to or about. Who was Nefari? 

"Peter, can I count on you to protect Simon?"

"Yes sir." Peter said accepting the task.

"I need you to do what ever it takes to protect him no matter what happens."

Peter nodded and the king thanked him. Peter told me to  follow him and ran back into the castle and out into the city. 

I couldn't believe what I saw. In the short between the time I was with the king and now the city had been ravaged. What was even worse was that the civilians had not gotten out. They were being dragged from their houses and stores. It was horrible.

"Simon! How well do you know your fairy tales?" Peter yelled trying to get me to hear him o er the war.

"My parents used to read them to me when I was was younger so I would say I know them really well, why?" I replied. Though I didn't understand why he would ask me a question like that at a time like this.

"Well forget everything they taught you. This place is nothing like those stories. Written is something completely different."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means I need you to stay close to me if you want to live!"

Just as Peter finished saying that a group of the queen's soldiers rounded the corner.

"Get the boy!" One of them yelled as they charged after us. We Tried to run but we were cut off by Gaston, who jumped I our way.

"Where are you going to run now?" He asked glaring at us with an unsettling smirk on is face. It turned to a face full of anger when a man dressed in a full suit of armor walked out and put himself between us and Gaston. It was the same man from earlier in the hall meeting

"Adam, I do not wish to fight you. If you would be so kind as to step aside I will personally see it that you, my dear friend, are treated with the utmost kindness when my queen takes back her throne." I was glad that Adam was on our side because Gaston,who seemed to be a force to be reckoned with, seemed apprehensive about face off with Adam.

"I'm sorry, I can't do that." Adam said as he started to remove his armor."Peter, take Simon somewhere safe. this may get messy."he said  looking back over his shoulder. His eyes burned bright blue. Without hesitation Peter grabbed my arm and we ran away. The last thing I saw was Adam's body grow bigger and hairier.

"Who was that?"I asked Peter while we were still running.

"That was Adam, the strongest man in Written."

"I don't remember him from any stories?"

"Yes you do he's-" Peter started to say but he stopped when we heard a roar from the direction we had just came from. "The Beast."

We were in the clear for another few minutes later until another group of the queen's men found us. We had tried to escape them but we were chased into a dead end. With our backs to the wall I looked over at Peter who didn't look troubled by the unfortunate wrong turn. He actually looked excited.

"How can you be excited at a time like this" I asked him 

"Are you kidding me? This is where it starts getting good. Ever been in a fight, Simon?" He asked me with a grin on his face.

"No, I'm the guy who runs away!" I Explained to him. I couldn't believe what he just asked me. I have never been in a fight. I was always the kid who was bullied. "I thought King Written told you to protect me and not get me killed."

"Why protect a man who can protect himself?"

"I can't protect myself!"

"How do you know that? You did say that you have never been in a fight before."

"Yeah so...that means I cant fight."

"You look like you could fight a thousand men. I think you're capable of more than you think." he said playful.

"No. I cant even fight one man let alone a  thousand."

"I think not. Care to wager?"

"What!?! No, are you crazy?"

"I'd be insane only if you lost."

"I'm not betting my life on this!"

"Ready?" he said pulling knives out of his bag."Go!" and he dashed towards the group of enemies. He started slashing and fighting the soldiers. Though some had gotten past him and made their way to me. They were going to kill me and I couldn't stop it. "I apologize Simon, this isn't a fair wager. You do not have a weapon." Peter yelled as he continued fighting. He then disarmed one of the soldiers and threw the sword into to the back of one of the men who had surrounded me. "That one is for you." I realized that there was no way for me to get out of this alive if I didn't fight back.

Dear Reader,

Please vote comment and share if you like this

MM

P.S. If there are any characters that you would like to see in future chapters feel free to suggest them via comment section or private message. Keep in mind that the majority of  this story will take place in Written and most of the characters are those form fairytales, fables, legends and other stories like those. Thanks.