Chapter 5

Judging by the sky it was around 7 or 8  am when we had reached the gate. It was cold and I was shirtless and barefoot. There was dew on the ground so my feet were wet and covered in small sticks and pebbles. We were walking on a dirt path so my feet were caked in dirt. I looked awful next to Peter. We hadn't gone that far into the city when I that a lot of people were eyeing me. I didn't necessarily like it but I completely understood why they would be looking at me the way they did. I was practically walking around half naked.

"So we're going to see the king right?"

"Yes."

"Do you think he's going to be OK with be looking like this?" " I said gesturing to my body which was now disgusting.

Peter turned to face me. He then looked me up and down and frowned. "True, you will need a new garment in order to see the king."

"So where can I get some new clothes?"

Peter thought to himself for a few moments. He looked as if he were thinking about something he shouldn't have been. That made me nervous. "Follow me." he said then he jogged off onto a side road.

"Here we are." he said as he walking into a three story house. 

When we walked the first thing that I noticed was how organized everything was. There were folded clothes on every flat surface and the clothes that weren't folded were draped over chairs or bars.

"Nico! It is me, Peter!" 

"Peter! Its been a while my friend." a voice called from upstairs.

"The last time we conversed was two nights ago, Nico." 

Then Nico, a short elderly man with glasses hobbled into view from behind a chair. He had to be no taller than four feet tall. He had a big nose and his hair was so thin that you could see his scalp. 

"Oh sorry. You know me I'm old so time escapes me."

"Old? What are you talking about? You don't look a day older than thirty?" he said as he browsed the clothing.

"I am-" Nico started to say but he stopped when he looked at me. He walked right up to me and looked straight up at my eyes. I was too afraid to move. "Peter, why did you not tell me you had a friend."

" Oh yeah. I met him in the forest last night. He said his name was Simon Wright." Peter said without even looking over at us.

"Wright?" Nico said looking at me. I was too afraid to say anything so I just nodded.

Nico walked away from me only to return with stool. He stood on it so that he was now eye level with me. He cleaned his glasses before taking my face in his hand. He pulled my hair and squinted.

"Oh dear." he said softly." Peter I'm going upstairs to get something.When I come back i want to see this young man dressed in something presentable. Were going to see the king!" He then walked back upstairs.

I looked at peter who was now looking back at me. I thought he would know what was going on but his expression made me rethink that.

Walking around the city felt uncomfortable because I was wear a weird outfit. I looked like a damn American Minuteman. Though to be honest I appreciated Nico's hospitality because now that I was walking out in the open no one looked at me strange. I was one of them...whoever they may be.

This time walking around seemed different. There weren't that many people in the streets and those that were outside were all heading in on direction.

"Where is everyone going?" I asked 

"They are going to The Graduation." Nico said.

Without thinking I blurted out the first that came to my mind."Is it like a High school graduation?"