Chapter 1

Chapter 1

“Come on, Dakota! You always say no!” Maggie, my co-worker and kind of friend, begs. The only reason I don’t consider her a friend is because we really don’t hang out other than at work, which is exactly what she is complaining about right now.

“I’m sorry, but I have to watch my sister tonight,” I reply sadly, while filling a glass with Pepsi and then sticking it on my tray.

“You always say that! I’m starting to get offended,” she whines, completely ignoring the fact that a couple was just seated at one of her tables.

“Look, I would if I could, you know that. Things are just really hectic,” I tell her, hoping I didn’t really offend her.

I do turn down her offers of hanging out a lot, but that is only because I have to take care of my sister. It isn’t like I’m going out with a bunch of other people or anything like that. It would actually be really nice to do something with her, but I just can’t with my crazy schedule. My life consists of school, work, and taking care of Addie. I don’t really have time for anyone else, which is probably why I don’t have very many friends.

“Yeah, okay,” she mumbles, still pouting.

“You better go take those people’s order before you get fired.” I point them out to her and she waves her hand dismissively.

“Waiting a few minutes won’t kill them,” she says while tossing her bouncy red curls over her shoulder. I roll my eyes and pick up my tray.

“Well, unlike you I can’t afford to be fired. So, I’m actually going to do my job,” I joke before delivering the drinks to their table.

The rest of the night is uneventful like all the others. I take people’s orders and deliver them their food, same as always. Maggie eventually does her tables and I help her out a bit, since there aren’t many people seated in my area for the night. My shift is close to being over, but I decide to do one last table for Maggie.

“Hello, my name’s Dakota and I will be serving you tonight.” I smile sweetly at the group of boys seated around the table. “Can I start you off with some drinks?”

After they each say what they want, I head back behind the counter to get what they requested. Before I am out of earshot I hear one of the boys talking about me.

“She’s hot,” he says and I feel myself blush. I duck my head and continue on, not waiting to hear what the others have to say about that.

When I get behind the counter I notice Maggie standing there, hands on her slim hips.

“Seriously? You had to take the table with the cute boys?” she asks dramatically and I roll my eyes.

“I thought I was helping you out by doing one of your tables!” I exclaim and she suppresses a grin.

“Nope. You just wanted them all to yourself. I see how it is,” she replies while shaking her head at me.

“I don’t even date, so there would be no point in that. If you want that table so bad then take it!” I throw my hands up in surrender.

“You don’t date?” she demands, a look of horror on her face.

“If I don’t have time to hang out with you, how am I supposed to find time to date someone?” I wonder and she stares at me like I’m insane.

“You are sadly deprived, my friend,” she tells me before walking away.

I get the drinks for the boys and then head back to their table. I take their food order and get them that as well. When they are finished eating I go back to them one last time.