Chapter Fifteen

I was ready with my camera in my hand, and the white roses Spencer had delivered earlier hidden behind Nat's counter.

When he and Tracey arrived, I had been reading one of John Green's novels—An Abundance of Katherines—while drinking a glass of Frappuccino Jonah had made. When the bell jingled, I lifted my head up to immediately spy on them.

It had started exactly as Spencer had planned—he brought up a box of hershey's on the table and they both started to eat chocolate as they talked about their project. I didn't know what exactly they were talking about, because I was sitting a little bit too far to hear what they were saying. But my camera, already recording on the table, was angled toward them, and it captured Tracey's face perfectly.

It was about half an hour later until I saw Spencer noticeably stiffening when Tracey was touching something inside the box with her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. I immediately dropped the book I was reading distractedly and stood up, bringing the camera with me. Tracey hadn't noticed my presence, but I'd already signaled Nat to get the roses ready.

Tracey held up what could've looked like a normal plastic-wrapped chocolate, only it was weird-shaped. Understanding began to seep into her face as she poked the wrapped ring with her finger, and her face slowly lit up. But I could tell that she was holding back her excitement in case it wasn't what she was expecting.

When she finally unwrapped the plastic wrapper, though, a joyful gasp emitted from her lips, and she looked up at Spencer in amusement. Spencer then stood up and kneeled in front of Tracey, staring up at her playfully.

"Marry me?" he goofily drawled out, and the girl shoved him in the shoulder. Nat came over to give Spencer the roses, and then Spencer held them out toward Tracey. "It's a yes or a yes, baby."

He received a second hit in the arm, and I giggled.

"Of course yes. I'm supposed to say that," she replied with a grin, taking the roses and letting Spencer take the ring from her so he could slip it into her finger. "So yes, Spencer. I would very much like to get fake married with you."

"Good. Now we can show Herberg the video," he said with a grin before turning around. "Did you get it on the camera, Han?"

I nodded and held up my thumb. After that, I ended the recording and gave him the camera, and they both thanked me. I didn't miss the blush on Tracey's face, though, as she stared at the fake ring on her finger.

I smiled to myself before leaving them to themselves. I noticed that Jonah had been staring at Spencer and Tracey's table with a calculating look on his face, but when I caught him staring, he immediately turned away. So, of course, I walked toward him with one of the biggest smirks on my face.

I leaned against the counter, my elbows resting on the surface he had been wiping with a dry cloth. "That, my friend Jonah, is how you propose to a girl."

He didn't look up, but I couldn't miss his rolling eyes. "I'm not your friend, and that was a cheap attempt of proposing to a girl."

My jaw dropped as I stood up straighter and removed my elbows from the counter, completely offended. "I was the one who suggested the idea to Spencer!"

He snorted at me. "Well, no surprise there."

I snatched the dry cloth he was holding and threw it at his face. It caught him off guard, because he didn't get the chance to prevent the cloth from falling into his face, but he just rolled his eyes at me again. I said, "I suppose you have a better idea than that brilliantly romantic one?"

He looked at me and smirked, but he completely changed the topic. "Tell me, Hannah Taylors, do you like animals?"

My eyes narrowed suspiciously at him. "Yes. I love animals, indeed."