3

Jumping off the cliff as Zack did, Sera ran towards the front gate to see Zack easily fighting off a large group of Wutai soldiers, a Wutai Sergeant from the difference in color of their uniforms among them, as well as Wutai soldiers situated on top of the gate with guns poised to shoot.

"Reinforcements! Call for backup!"

'Like I'll give you the chance,' Sera removed the gun strapped to her waist and fired, taking out one of the Wutai soldiers on top of the gate before he could run off. She turned to take out the other Wutai soldiers above the gate.

"Damn it! This one has firearms! Take him out first!"

'Do I really look that much of a guy, or are they just short-sighted?' Sera wondered to herself as she took out the last of the Wutai soldiers on the gate before drawing out her sword as a handful of soldiers Zack was fighting against broke off from the group to attack her. A cold smirk graced her lips, and before they could even reach her, she disappeared only to reappear past the rushing group and the five Wutai soldiers suddenly dropped to the ground like flies behind her.

'Woah,' Zack gaped, having caught Sera's display of skill and let down his guard slightly. The few remaining Wutai soldiers close by saw his lack of concentration and rushed in to attack, taking Zack by surprise before gunshots rang out and the rest dropped to the ground one by one. At the sight of the remaining Wutai soldiers no longer left standing, Zack turned to see Sera standing a distance away, a smoking gun in her hand. Strapping the weapons back, Sera moved past him towards the gate.

"Focus, Zack. We're on a mission, not some training simulation," Sera ordered sternly.

"Er, right."

The two of them made their way up to the top of the gate and they crouched at the edge, taking stock of the situation.

Below them, patrolling the area, were only two Wutai privates and a Wutai Sergeant.

'They're underestimating us,' Sera growled in her mind as she readied her gun to fire, only to be stopped by Zack. She turned to glare at him only to be met with his wide grin.

Let me handle this, he mouthed out. Sera sighed and nodded, not bothering to argue and wanting to get this over with fast, and she strapped back her gun. Zack's eyes brightened and he smiled as thanks, before it turned into a smirk as he looked back down at his opponents. He jumped down to meet them head-on as Sera remained at the top, observing his skills as he fought.

"Well, he's skilled at least," Sera commented softly as she watched him take down two of them down simultaneously before taking down the third one. When the last one went down, she jumped down to join him below.

Zack gave Sera a cocky smirk, "Heh! Piece of cake!" Sera just sighed.

Just then, Sera's phone rang and she flipped it, bring the device to her ear.

"Were you both able to get inside the fortress?" Angeal's voice spoke from the other end.

"Yes." she told him, "We're already inside as we speak."

"It was a piece of cake! We could have done it blindfolded!" Zack added, having heard the conversation due to his Mako enhancement.

Angeal chuckled. "Tell Zack not to get too careless. I've heard that the Wutai keep a large monster for anti-SOLDIER purposes. It should be inside Fort Tamblin."

"Alright. We'll keep an eye out," Sera informed.

"...Sera, how was Zack's performance from your point of view? Did he give you any difficulties?"

Sera paused, eying Zack from the corner of her eye and she saw him looking around almost curiously but from his tense form, she knew he was alert.

She looked away. "He held himself out adequately at least."

"..." "..."

"He got distracted, didn't he? At the front gate? I was watching."

"If you knew then there is no point in me explaining further."

A sigh was heard. "Just make sure he doesn't get himself into too much trouble."

"Hn. No promises."

The call ended at that and Sera flipped it close. She turned towards Zack. "He said Wutai has been keeping a large monster somewhere within the fort for the purpose of taking us out."

Zack hummed thoughtfully. "Hey, if we take it out, do you think we'll make 1st?"

"Provided if we were to encounter it," Sera told him as she walked towards a random direction, Zack following after. "Our main objective is to draw the Wutai troops' attention to us by running amok. If we do good, the chances of becoming 1st will be higher."

"Oh yeah, that'll be easy!" Zack punched his hands together. "I'll make it to 1st in no time!"

"Hard to believe with your kind of attitude," Sera muttered to herself.

"Eh? Didja say something?" Sera shook her head.

The two of them scoured through the fort, taking down any troops coming their way with ease with Zack being the main brute force and Sera acting as support, taking down any remaining troopers with her gun. As they were walking, the ringing tone was heard once more and Zack brought his phone to his ear.

This time it was Lazard who spoke. "Well done you two, We have successfully occupied Fort Tamblin. I was really only expecting you two to get their attention. Most impressive, I must say.

I'm very pleased with the results thus far. Proceed to the next objective."

"Will do. Thank you, sir!" Zack ended the call and pumped his fist into the air, a grin on his face. "Alright! 1st class position here we come!"

"Let's go," Sera ordered, cutting off his excited cheer. "If what the director says is true, we will need to head towards the center of the fort. That's where our next objective is."

"You got it!" Zack grinned and the two continued onward once more.