Chapter 4

Sadie’s POV

*********************************************************************

I woke up feeling disorientated, I looked round the room and panic started to well up inside me until my head cleared and everything started to return to my memory. I sat up in shock and the light-headedness returned making me groan and lifted both hands up to cover my face and couldn’t help but fall into heavy sobs as I remembered the rejection from the one person who is supposed to love and protect me. I heard a soft creak and seconds later felt warm arms wrap around me, I leaned into the comforting scent of my aunty and my sobs got harder as she stroked my hair and gently rocked me whispering words that I couldn’t quite catch but helped me relax anyway.

It took a few minutes before I could compose myself enough to look her in the eyes but I couldn’t bear to hold her gaze for too long “Do I really look that bad?” I sniffed and caught the shocked look that flitted across her eyes “What happened?” she asked with apprehension as she grabbed my arms and straightened my body so I was facing her “I found my mate…and he rejected me!” I sniffed before bursting into tears again.

I didn’t know how long I had been crying before my aunt left but I was grateful for it as all I wanted to do was cry myself to sleep, it didn’t help when my wolf was pining for her mate and there was nothing I could do to comfort her.

After hours of self pity I decided enough was enough, after all I am an Alpha now, I have responsibilities to both my pack and my business. ‘I will show our mate that he can’t crush us’ I said with determination to more myself than my wolf who still whined at the separation.

I changed into my pale pink silk pyjamas, brushed my teeth and slipped into the cool bed with only one thought in my head

Tomorrow will be different!

Betty’s POV

*********************************************************************

I watched as Sadie walked through the living room door looking an exact replica of my much younger sister Katie, she even wore her shirt the same way as she always did when she visited me on the farm.

She only stood there for a few seconds before she walked back out the room, I just looked at my husband William who just shrugged.

“I wonder if she got lost” I joked before getting up out of my favourite black leather recliner to see where she had got too. I walked out the living room door and screamed for William as I saw Sadie crumpled in a heap behind the front door.

William scooped her up and carried her up the stairs with an expression that mirrored mine “Call the pack doctor” he called out to me and I instantly pulled out my old but practical mobile phone and pulled up Tracy the pack doctor who only lived a few houses down but with the Alphas coming of age party in full swing she was probably up to her eyes with drunken girls and men fighting over the still unmated females that obviously weren’t mated to the Alpha.

It was ten minutes before a loud knock on the door made me jump, William showed her up the stairs to the room and I moved off the bed to let her look at Sadie. Tracy checked her pulse and her eyes and took her temperature. “It looks like she just fainted, has she complained of anything or anyone spoke to her?” she asked trying to find out why someone would just collapse like that. I shook my head only suggesting the fact that she had done a lot of travelling today “Ah that must be it then, just give her some time to rest and she should be fine” she smiled before putting her stethoscope and thermometer back in her bag.

“If your still worried about her just give me a shout” she smiled before leaving the room. It was weird, I had no idea what had happened but the reason hit her, she had pushed it far far at the back of her mind “Tracy” she shouted and waited as her footsteps climbed back up the stairs with speed. “I think I know why she collapsed”

I sighed, this was the first time I would have openly admitted to anyone as if I didn’t say it, and it wasn’t true.

“Her parents, my sister were killed in a plane crash just over a month ago” I whispered allowing tears to for the first time fall endlessly down my face. Tracy placed her hand on my shoulder to comfort me “Well that would be my best guess as to why she fainted” she smiled weekly before leaving again. I shuffled into my own bedroom before throwing myself down on my bed and quietly sobbed for the loss of my sister and brother in law.

It was about an hour before I heard her stir and got up when I heard a muffled noise that sounded like crying coming from her room. I slowly crept across the hall and pushed the old door cringing as it creaked from lack of use, we never had visitors stay over. She just lay their sobbing her little heart out and I done my best to comfort her but was stunned when she finally opened her mouth and said…

“Do I really look that bad?”

It was then that I realised that whatever happened was nothing to do with her parents death but something else that would shape the way she would live her life…

“I found my mate…and he rejected me!”

I looked at her in absolute shock, ‘who in the right mind would reject someone as gorgeous as her?’ my wolf asked me with a sad voice ‘I don’t know but I will find out if it kills me’ I growled back, no one treats my family like that, after all she is all that’s left of my sister.