Chapter 1

James POV

I looked into the mirror and for the first time in my life I didn't recognise the reflection, my normal deep chestnut brown eyes were paler than I had ever seen and the dark bags that hung under my eyes reflected the countless sleepless nights that I have endured. I ran my hand over the thick stubble that covered my face and growled in anger at letting myself get into such a state...not that I was going to do anything about it, not just yet anyway!

My mum Sandra yelled me to come down for breakfast but why bother! I couldn't hold any of the damn stuff down anyway. "James your bacon and eggs are now cold!" Sandra yelled from the bottom of the stairs before storming off. I just shrugged before grabbing my jacket, I have been feeling the cold a bit more than usual since I stopped eating, but I really didn’t care as I walked out the front door.

The wind blasted me from every angle as soon as I stepped out; I wrapped my arms round my chest and headed off to town to drown my sorrows.

I knew that this was a human pub in a human village but at least I could get some peace and quiet for a few hours without wolf eyes burning into the back of my head. I knew I looked out of place in here due to my huge 6'5" frame with broad shoulders and muscles to make any bodybuilder jealous. Hell I made even male wolves jealous; after all I am Head Alpha of Scotland and Alpha to the Blackstone Pack.

I haven't always been so bitter and depressed, this only happened just under a month ago but I know I will never be the same man again.

*********************************************************************

One month earlier

*********************************************************************

I was so looking forward to this party; every unmated female in Scotland was invited to it. Although I have had girlfriends before, they knew it was never going to be for keeps and I always made sure they knew the score. I am not one to sleep around like most of the other unmated males who’s idea of a hobby was to see who could bed the most girls; I was brought up to wait for this day to come...and now its here… the day I finally find my mate!

I could see that all the stops had been pulled out on this party, the place looked spectacular, the trees were covered with sparking fairy lights, and a live band was playing all the latest music mixed in with old favourites to please the crowds. I grinned when I seen the huge bonfire that lit up hundreds of girls just waiting to see if they were my chosen mate.

I had no idea who my mate was but knew she must be special; after all she has to be strong enough to stand by my side as my Luna.

I must have danced with hundreds of girls but I didn't feel any pull that would suggest any of them were my true mate. It was getting late and the constant prattle and flirting from the hopeful girls were starting to really grate on my nerves. I had enough for one night; she obviously for some reason hadn't come tonight. I growled in frustration before a faint scent of strawberries and vanilla hit my sensitive nose.

I couldn't help but follow it, as it got stronger I sensed that the fragrance wasn't coming from anyone at the party; it seemed to be coming from one of the surrounding houses. 'Maybe she is sick and couldn't make the party?' my wolf suggested. This made my stomach churn at the thought of my mate in pain but carried on following the sweet intoxicating smell until I reached the front door of one of my member’s houses.

I looked at the house in confusion, an elderly couple lived here, and they had joined the pack years ago for a quieter life. They didn't have any kids like alone one that could be within the same age range as his mate. I gently knocked the door feeling quite sheepish as to why the scent had brought him here.

As soon as the door opened I was blasted with what could only be described as an electric force that made my skin tingle from head to toe, I quickly composed myself before I looked into the most angelic face I had ever seen, she was at least 6' tall with waist length auburn hair that fell down her back in soft curls, I wondered if they were as soft as they looked.

I swiftly gave her body a once over which gave my no complaints whatsoever but it was her eyes that captivated me, they were an unusual blue colour but so pale they looked like ice, they sparkled as if the full moon was shining down on an frozen lake.

I gasped at how beautiful she was just standing in the doorway also seemingly checking me out. I grinned before I noticed her pale skin looked slightly more rosy as she realised she had been caught.

We stood there for what felt like an eternity just taking each other in, I was still in awe from her beauty that I didn’t think twice about stepping closer and putting both my arms round her tiny waist and puller her nearer to me. I felt sparks fly up both my arms and it felt good, she mirrored my reaction and gave out a small involuntary moan from her perfect lips which in turn caused me to say the only thing on my mind.

“Mate!”

I have found my one true mate but something is concerning me deeply, as I stand there revelling in my mates unique scent, I catch a whiff of a very familiar and unnerving scent that radiates from her body. It instantly makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end, it take a few moments to isolate it and then suddenly I recognise it ...she is the Enemy!