Chapter 14

Awaken
Forsaken
Every child
Taken

1

Scott sat by his sister's bed, holding her hand in a tight grip. Across town, Gia Davenport did the same, but the hand she held was her daughter Gracie's.

Shari's hair is lively and fiery, soft and spread out across her pillow, her eyes closed softly, unaware of the fear he was experiencing.

"Shari, I need you to wake up soon." Scott said to his sister. "Our family is broken... The doctor said you should be awake in a few days. You've been out for two nights, and he said you could wake up any minute... I need you to do that."

Diana appeared in the doorway, holding two foam coffee cups. "How is she?"

"Still the same. They said she's stable now, and she's gonna take a short while to come around. She nearly died." Scott explained, taking the coffee gratefully. "Thank you."

"I spoke to Prue yesterday." Diana said, sitting down on one of the chairs. "She seemed a little shaken from what happened."

"I heard," Scott said with a nod. "Gia's been a warrior. Honestly, she's so strong."

"Typical Gia." Diana said in agreement. "I'd love to be as strong as her one day."

Shari stirred, murmuring in her state of unconsciousness. Scott sat up, his eyes wide and hopeful but Shari remained silent.

He sank back into his chair with a disappointed sigh.

It was late now, around 2.30AM on Monday night. It was at that moment when Diana's iPhone began to vibrate. She pulled it out of her pocket and answered it.

"Hey Tobias, how are-"

Diana paused, looking concerned. "No..."

"What is it?" Scott asked.

"Tobias, hold on as long as possible!" Diana cried and hung up.

"What?" Scott repeated.

"The boarding house, someone's been killed." Said Diana, picking up her bag swiftly. "I need to go get help."

Scott nodded but Diana had already gone to see his gesture. She sprinted out of the room and down the corridor, heading for the elevator.

She almost collapsed into the elevator and punched the buttons, panting for air. The doors closed just as she pulled out her iPhone and speed-dialled Logan.

"What is it?" He muttered. Diana could hear the distant sound of his Xbox buttons clicking.

"Okay gamer boy, time to get moving. Get on your ghostbuster costume and meet me at the boarding house." Diana said quickly, pushing her hair back.

"Wait what?" He said, almost mumbling.

Diana sighed. "A girl has been killed at the boarding house."

"Um... okay." He muttered and ended the call.

As the elevator descended, an eerie silence took over. It wasn't the kind of silence that was peaceful, but the unnerving kind - the unnatural kind.