The First Interlude

When I first felt the winter coming, I knew it. I just knew whatever happened years ago - the same was coming. I could feel it within my bones that something evil, something dark was lurking in the shadows of Sachem Bay, watching, taking, killing. Of course, people would think I'm crazy, they always do. They never believe me and I never get the acknowledgment whenever the terror arrives because they're all so wrapped up in their innocence and happiness that they don't realise They will take them. They will take their kids and there's no coming back from that.

It makes me sick. How ignorant can a town be? Have they forgotten? Have they finally become too comfortable in their safe paper town that they don't realise the danger that slithers deep within their own?

I can feel Them always. They may have forgotten, but I haven't. I won't. Spirits wander this town. They always have. The terror that was inflicted here will never leave me and the moment the last person forgets is the moment we are all doomed - if we're not doomed anyway.

I used to think we'd all go to hell for our sins. But I realised we're probably already there, or at least Hell has come to us. I know whilst ignorance is bliss, at least awareness is keeps you alive.

I hope you realise and I hope you remember.

They have not gone. They will never be gone.

They'll be back. And they will take your children.

Open your eyes, or find them closed for eternity.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Monday 8th January, 2018.
Jenny Cooper.