Day 63: The Story I'd Never Write

How many times has this happened to you:

You're sitting in class, or at work, or lying in bed, or standing in the shower, and the only thing standing between you and absolute boredom is a randomly inspired story you're entertaining yourself with as you imagine it up. It's not your typical story, and probably not something you'd really devote much time to plotting and writing out. However, if someone else wrote it, you'd read it, you'd definitely read it. WHY ISN'T IT BOOK ALREADY?!

Yeah. Happens to us all (and I don't mean the "if a madman broke into the classroom rn, how would I save everyone" scenarios everyone daydreams in 3rd period chemistry class).

So, today's post is, as the title says, "The Story I'd Never Write."

But it's not about stories you would be opposed to. This isn't about the type of stories you'd hate or never support. On the contrary, it's about stories with a set up/plotline that would be an interesting read for you, but you wouldn't write yourself. It could be for any number of reasons, ex: I don't have the time, I have a billion other projects in the works, I don't have the talent/it doesn't fit my style of writing, I'm not a writer, etc etc.

What brought this all on? Because I myself have had a few ideas for stories that aren't in my genre of writing, and I'd probably give them a read if they existed already. Like if I had a machine that could just read your mind for an idea and then write out a whole original book based on it for you to read without knowing it all and doing the work of writing it, I'd have a freakn library to dwell in.

But I don't.

So instead, I'm here writing to my noticeably shrinking audience about the books I'd never write, hoping that among you there's someone who will take inspiration from these ideas and maybe write one up. So here goes:

WHEN IT RAINS...

When it rains, it pours, and in one (insert adjective) American city, a storm is coming. A major flood forces half the town to evacuate, and the rest are left to shelters and survival centers. As space runs low, one local Mosque opens its doors for emergency housing, bringing in hundreds of needy neighbors and flood survivors.

Hannah Garcia (Generic name) and her family were desperate. The shelters were full, and thanks to her father's aggressive and divisive demeanor, they'd been turned away from all private centers. Despite her father's hatred, and her mother's distrust, Hannah, her parents, and her little brother all find themselves knocking on the doors of Mosque to survive the flood.

Yahya Abdul-Majid was the son of a revert, and the leader of the Muslim Youth Group for the Mosque. He was the chosen muezzin and a dedicated volunteer for all of the community events. As the storm rages on and the flood ravages half the town, Yahya is called upon to serve his community in its most urgent time of need. He thought he'd just be helping with the distribution of supplies and meals, but when one of the new guests starts stirring up trouble on the first day, Yahya finds that he and his team will have their work cut out for them in keeping the peace in Masjid As-Salaam.

Rain is a Mercy from Allah, and even in disaster there is hope. So when it rains, let the floods wash away that which divides, and bring the people together. Let the waves of truth drown out hatred and misconceptions. This is a story of survival and community, support and understanding, the town of (insert name) has their best and their worst brought out in full when it rains...

----

You guys remember I mentioned an idea like this on an article I posted last year during the bajillion floods we were having here? That idea hasn't left me yet, but I'm not really the one to write it. I wrote that blurb right now to set the tone and plot for anyone who wants to modify and write that story. Since this is wattpad, I know asking for a story that doesn't involve at least a romantic subplot is like asking a river to run upstream. So I kind of set that up already.