Chapter 6 - Grimauld Place

“Are you sure about this, Harry?  Once I brought Yaxley into its protections he would’ve been able to bring other Death Eater’s here.”  The six of them were already gathered on the doorsteps of number twelve.

“And all of them are either dead or in Azkaban along with Yaxley.”

“But what has happened tonight proves we still have some enemies, ‘Arry.” Said Fleur.  “Who is to say that we haven’t been successful in rounding up the last living Death Eaters?”

“She’s right.” Agreed Hermione.  “After all the Malfoy’s made it abroad for two years.” She said, cutting Narcissa a glance.  “Others could have done the same.”

“I’m not entirely sure that a Malfoy isn’t involved in these attacks.” He said, also cutting Narcissa a look.

“Draco?” Narcissa breathed.

“Oh, please, Harry!” Hermione laughed.  “Draco Malfoy may be a diabolical fiendish git but he isn’t smart enough to pull this off.  He doesn’t know how to summon Dementors!  He doesn’t know how to work curses that were used on the Burrow.  Do you think his overbearing, overprotective mother would allow him to learn such magic?  Of course not.  I mean, Merlin’s beard, the boy couldn’t even kill Dumbledore!”

“You say that as if it’s such an easy feat.” Said Harry.  “Like you’ve actually taken killing Dumbledore into consideration in the past, Hermione.” He said disbelievingly.

“I don’t need to take it into consideration.  It was so blindly obvious the best way to kill Dumbledore would be by poisoning his lemon sherbets.” She shrieked, working herself up to quite a tantrum.

“That’s all very well,” Andromeda cut in before Harry could counter argue, “but why are we all still standing out here?  Whether or not my dreadful nephew is involved in these attacks we are in just as much danger standing out here in the open than by whatever the Death Eaters might have left behind in there.”

Harry sighed, “Narcissa, do you know if Yaxley passed on the location of our old headquarters to any of your old cronies?”

“He told Lucius and Severus.”

“But not Voldemort or any others?”

“No they both talked him out of it.  Lucius wanted to tell the Dark Lord himself to claim the credit but never got the chance and Severus… well, it’s pretty obvious now why Severus talked him out of it.”

“That’s good enough for me.” Said Harry, unlocking the front door.

“You’re going to take the word of a former Death Eater?” Hermione asked disbelievingly.

“The ex-wife of a former Death Eater.” Narcissa corrected her.

“Snape was a former Death Eater, Hermione.”

“Snape was in love with your mother.  That’s very different to the story of Narcissa Malfoy.”

“People change, Hermione.  Snape didn’t just do what he did for her.  He did it because he was a good man.  He didn’t do what Dumbledore told him to do for him or for her.  He did it for me but mostly for himself and of his own choosing.” He breathed.  “It is our choices, Hermione, that show what we truly are.”

“Oh don’t get all philosophical on me, Harry.  Snape was exceptionally different to her.  She could be lying to you to get away.”

“Get away where, Hermione?  She’s wandless and pennyless.  She doesn’t have a friend or ally in the world.  Narcissa knows her best bet at survival is by sticking with us.  And that’s what the Malfoy’s do best, isn’t Narcissa?  Surviving even when all others of your race are going the way of the dodo?”