여섯

I spend the next morning on the boardwalk. It's the same as my first morning on the boardwalk, which is to say that it's a bust. Despite zero signs of V, I've run into that stupid cat again hanging around my favorite churro cart. I've now named her Mister Mister. After all, she fooled me into thinking she was a "he" the first time around.

After being lazy and feeding churro crumbs to some seagulls, I still have some time before I have to had over to the Palace for my afternoon shift. I'm not looking forward to facing Taehyung again. We didn't see each other after the cookies. Yeah, that was a nice attempt at making up for his dickery, but . . . whatever. Maybe don't say anything you need to make amends for in the first place.

Aish. Just thinking about him makes me want to kick something. it also reminds me that I wanted to find a scarf to tie up my hair, so that it won't stick to the back of my neck when the sweating starts in the Hotbox. I throw away my crumpled churro napkin in the trash, say good-bye to sleepy Mister Mister, and head to a shop I noticed during my previous V hunting - Deja Vu. It's small vintage clothing store with mannequins in the window that have been put together an outfit. When I enter, a small bell over the door dings. The shop was dark, and it smells of a mix of musty old clothes and cheap detergent. Everything is jammed tight. There's only one other shopper in the store, and a bored girl with purple highlights is running the register in the back.

I spot a rack of old scarves near the counter. Ding! Some of them smell funky, and a few are way too weird for my taste, but there's a lot to choose from. Halfway through the rack, I find a black-and-white striped one that won't clash too badly with my green vest at work. I pay the the girl at the register. When's ringing me up, the bell over the door rings. I glance over my shoulder to see two guys walking through the store. One is Asian in a low-cut T-shirt with a leather jacket. The other is tall with blonde hair, wearing jeans and no shirt at all. He walks with a limp, as if he's got an injured leg.

Crap. I know him. It's Taehyung's friend. The other guy from the crosswalk - the drugged-one who slammed his fists on appa's car. They both approach us. (I love all BTS members equally; just using them as 'CHARACTERS'. Fictional purposes.)

"What's up, baby?" he says in a lazy, raspy voice to the girl at the register as he walks up to the counter next to me while she's getting my change out of the register. I look up at his face. He got a dimple on his cheek, small but fierce eyes. His blonde hair is a mess. He might be handsome, but he has a scarier vibe. Something's like a bad boy.

"I told you not to bother me at work, RM."

"Yeah, well, it's an emergency. I'm driving down to Littletown this afternoon. Need you to help a brother out."

"Not now."

He puts his hands on the counter and leans closer, blocking my view of their faces. I can still see her purple highlights draped over one shoulder. "Please," he begs.

"I thought you were chipping?" she whispers.

"I am, but you know how it goes. I just need a little." His soft tone matches hers, but I can still hear every word they're saying. I mean, hello. This conversation isn't private. Do they know that? "it's just for today."

"That's what you said last week," she argues.

"Lisa, come on." He runs a hand down her arm, stroking a strand with the tips of his fingers. "Lisa, Lisa, Lisa."

She sighs. "I'll make a call and text you. Might be a couple of hours."

Satisfied, he turns around and seems to notice me for the first time. "Hi there."

I don't reply, but I can feel him looking me over while I accept my change. I quickly shove it into my wallet, and then grab the bag with my scarf and head down the narrow aisle toward the door. I just want to get out of here, like, yesterday.