스물아홉

At GUCCI: LIMITED EDITION, Blackpink says their new song, Ddu du ddu du, as models walking out with GUCCI's new clothing and accessory line. V and I have discussed what style they're coming out online, but it's strange to think about those conversations now. I definitely wish I could be seeing it under happier circumstances. 

It was a Sunday night, I was strangely calm. Maybe it's because this has been a long time coming, me meeting V. or maybe it's because I don't feel the same way about him as I once did, now that Taehyung's in my life. I think back to the beginning of the summer, when I was so worried and nervous about everything V could or could not be - tall or short, bald or hairy, shy or chatty - and none of those things matter anymore.

He is who is.

I am who I am.

Exactly who those people are couldn't really be identified in an online profile or captured correctly in all our written communication, no matter how honest we tried to be. We were only showing one side of ourselves, a side that was carefully trimmed and curated. He didn't see all my hang-ups and problems, or how long it takes me to pluck my eyebrows every night. He doesn't know I tried to pick up a gay tour host because I thought it might be him. Or that I can't tell the difference between a male and female cat . . . Or about all the dirty GIFs I've laughed at with Anna, or the number of churros I can put away in one sitting before it starts to get embarrassing for the churro chart vendor, because he knows I'm really not buying them for "a friend." (Five.)

God only knows what I haven't seen of him.

So, you know, whatever. If he's nice, great. If not, no big deal. In my head, I'm holding my head high and wearing a navy blue dress with a denim jacket.

 In my head, I'm holding my head high and wearing a navy blue dress with a denim jacket

At the beach a little more than half an hour before the runway starts. They're showing it, ironically enough, near one of the first places I remember when when I came into town: the surfers' crosswalk. Only, the whole area is transformed tonight, with one of those huge rotating double spotlights that's pointed toward the sky, announcing to the world, Hey, festival's over here! They've also lit up the palm trees along Big Hit Avenue and hung festival banners in the parking lot across the street, which is jammed with cars. I manage to squeeze Eggie into a space alongside another scooter before following a line of people who are swinging picnic baskets and coolers, heading toward the giant runway set up in the sand.

V was right all those months ago when he first told me about this: It looks really fun. The sun's setting over the water. Families and couples are chilling on blankets, and closer to the road, a row of tents and food trucks are selling food and merchandise. I head for those, looking for flagpoles. All the palms are lit up, so I figure a flagpole must be spotlighted too, right? But when I've walked the entire row of vendors, I can't find it. No flag near the runway either. It's a pretty big runway, so I check around back, just to make sure. Nope. Nothing.

This is weird. I mean, V lives here, so he knows the place. He wouldn't just tell me to meet him somewhere so specific if it wasn't there. I check my film messages to make sure there isn't anything new from him, and when I don't see anything I head back the way I came from, all the way down to the end of the concession row to the back of the seating area. That's when I spot it.