I'm doing this. I've got the day off, and I heading toward Tuan's Tours booth. It's eerily gray and foggy this morning. So foggy, it's nearly noon and I still can't see much. This is okay by me. Fewer tourists walking around. It's like I have the boardwalk to myself.

So what I've changed my mind twice? I'm really doing it this time. I mean, come on. It's V. At least, I hope it's V. And if it is, I'll know, because I know him. I should, shouldn't I? I've been talking to him online for months. We're practically soulmates. Okay, maybe that's a little much, but we're at least friends or something. We have a bond that stretches beyond our common interest.

Then there's the whole Taehyung situation. After the cops came and picked up the thieving kids yesterday - two officers, not appa's Sergeant Gonzalez - Taehyung was involved in paperwork to do with all that, so I didn't really see him again which is good, because all these crazy feelings I was feeling about him . . . they were just a side effect of adrenaline and elation over capturing those two boys.

Anyway, I'm not thinking about Taehyung Kim right now. I'm especially not thinking about his fingers twined through mine after the victory high five. That's banned from my head. As if to underscore the matter, a low foghorn bellows offshore, making me jump.

I clear Taehyung from my head and continue walking. The pink and orange of the Tuan logo appears. Man, if this is really V's family, I already see why he hates working here. The business is located between two others, Beaches Bike Rentals, and the booth that sell tickers to the Ferris wheel. I hover by the bike rental place until I spot Mark's red-ish hair.

He's working. And it looks like he's alone.

I wait while he points someone down the boardwalk, giving them directions through the fog somewhere, then before I can lose my nerve again, I talk three long steps and slow near the bench outside the ticketing window. A couple of seagulls scatter when I approach.

"Hi," I say. "Remember me?"

"From IHOP," he says. He's wearing an orange Windbreaker and shorts. His hair are cropped shorted than they were in the diner, and the morning breeze is blowing his hair across his eyes. "I never forget a fashion guru and a GOT7 fan. But I do forget names. Remind me . . . ?"

I'm sort of crushed. "Suzy."

He snaps his fingers. "Suzy, that's right. Mark," he says, extending his hand, and I pretend that I didn't remember his name either as I shake it.

Now I've got to play it cooler than I planned, so I say, "I was just taking a walk, seeing if there were any used-DVD stores on the boardwalk." I know there's one. I've already been inside it three times. "And then I saw you, and I thought, Hey, maybe that guy would know." Ugh. So awkward, but he doesn't seem to notice.

"Yeah, there's a little place called Video Town, right in the middle of the boardwalk. Giant Camera outside. Hard to miss."

Aish. This is going to be harder than I thought. Didn't I give him a hint online last night? Unless this really isn't V . . .

"So, do you get a break here any time soon? Maybe you'd want to browse some DVDs with me?" I hear myself saying. "You mentioned getting coffee, but, you know . . ." My voice getting smaller and smaller.

Come on. If this is really V, surely he'll remember me dropping the horoscope hint last night . . . won't he? I mean, he's always so attentive online. He remembers everything I say. Always gets my jokes, even remembers punch lines to gags from months ago. but now he can't even remembers my actual name? Maybe it really was a good idea that I didn't tell him I was moving out here, after all.

Hesitating, he leans over the counter and looks one way, then the other, looking into the fog. "All right. yeah, sure. Why not. Business is slow. The current tour won't be back for a bit, so I guess I can take thirty. Hold on, let me close the gate and put up the sign."