Bonus Scene

I grabbed my clarinet case and straightened my new red dress as I marched outside. The morning sun shone brightly and illuminated the fresh green landscapes of Normandy. It creeped over the happy families and embraced me with a warm hug as if assuring me that this wasn't a dream. War was finally over, and France was finally free.

  I was pleased to see Mr. William on my way through the bustling market. He roamed the vibrant streets with two body guards on either side of him.

  "Good day, Miss Blondel!" he greeted me.

  "To you too, General," I answered with a smile.

Mr. William had become the Chief Of Staff of the French Army and I was more than happy for him. He never failed to lift my spirits up throughout the harsh years. He truly deserved all the best.

"Where are you off to?" he asked me curiously, arching an eyebrow.

"Oh, just wandering around," I lied.

Well, I hated it that I was lying, especially to the one person who has been there for me for so long. But then I thought I'd tell him the truth later. Where I was going was somehow private. At least for now, I didn't want anyone to know.

"Okay," he shrugged. "Take care Lily."

"Sure, no worries."

Cecile, my best friend, had urged me to hang out with her and the rest of our friends today. It made me kind of guilty that I had declined her request. I promised her I'll be with them next time. Not everyday was like today. Besides, I definitely didn't want to lose the chance of fulfilling a promise I've made years ago.

When I finally reached my destination, I was surprised to see that a few parts of the Atlantic wall were demolished. It felt so good to see the ocean again. The waves crashed on the shore just like they did years ago. But this time, I saw no violence in their crash. This time, I didn't feel hatred toward the ocean nor its atmosphere.

I felt my heart ache as I sat on the fine sand and gazed into the deep vast ocean. Six years have passed since the day I lost Kevin and my father. Yet here I was, brave and delighted that it thankfully wasn't the day I lost myself too.

I held up my clarinet and blew out the melody Kevin had been waiting patiently to hear. I wanted to keep my promise to him and I was glad that I finally did.

  The melody reminded me of a thousand memories. It reminded me of love and care and guilt and grief. It reminded me of who I was growing up to be. It reminded me of the days when the darkness was gradually turning into light. It reminded me of all those who have desperately wanted to listen and feel.

  Every time I closed my eyes, I felt love. I saw the sparkling eyes of Kevin looking into mine. I felt the warmth of my mother's hug. I felt the happiness I used to feel when my father held me up on his arms so high I could reach the sky. I heard laughter in my mother's music. I felt light and nothing else.

  I was thankful to find the valuable treasure my mother told me about. I was grateful to find happiness. I was grateful that I grew wise enough to realize that it is a treasure that can be found no where except within oneself. Deep in my heart, I found it waiting patiently to enlighten my soul.

  My hair danced in the wind and the breeze of the ocean caressed my cheeks as the melody came to an end. I took a deep breath and smiled at the ocean.

  "What an incredible tune!" I heard someone exclaim.

  Baffled, I turned around instantly to find a tall young guy standing on the nearby cliff behind me. There was an amused look on his face as he met my eyes. He had soft brown hair and dark green eyes. It hurt that he looked somewhat like Kevin, only older. Well, of course. Six years have passed already.

  I thought I was alone.

"Thank you," I replied with a smile.

He descended the cliff and staggered forward.

"How long have you been learning to play the instrument?" he asked curiously.

"Oh, it's been a long time really," I answered honestly.

"I see, you're very skillful at it," he said pleasantly. "What's your name?"

"Lily," I replied. "Lily Blondel."

"Nice to meet you Lily," he said. "I'm Icarus Frey."

"Nice to meet you too, Icarus," I smiled.

"Do you mind if I just sit here and listen while you play?" he asked hopefully. His green eyes sparkled under the dazzling sunlight.

  I wasn't sure whether or not I'd accept it. I wanted to be alone more than anything, but I didn't like being rude to him.

  "Well, if you wish," I shrugged.

  A wide genuine smile drove its way across his relaxed features.

  "My pleasure," he responded enthusiastically as he balanced himself on a cliff across me.

  I glanced at the wavy sparkling waters underneath and noticed a few water lilies bloom with vibrant colors. I knew it was an indication that Kevin was proud of me. He had always wanted me to move on, and I had always been stubborn enough not to.

I smiled as I blew out the melody of my happy soul through my precious clarinet. I felt thankful for all the strength and faith I was gifted. For the first time in years, I envisioned a bright future. For the first time in a long time, I believed that the end is not the end.

**************

Hi loves!
This should actually be the last chapter of the book. On Wattpad, I called it a Bonus Scene because it's after the Epilogue.

And I had to compensate for your tears, so I hope this chapter did!

I guess I'll start writing a new book soon, so until then, we'll meet again! And I'll make sure you'll be informed!
Thank you for all the support!

Love,

Mira xx