Epilogue

"In the end, we'll all become stories."
•●•●•●•●•

He walked through the dark valley of his peaceful country where citizens, engineers, merchants and venders seemed to be joyful and energetic as they busied themselves on a hot summer day. He knew that people were aware of an upcoming World War II, yet it seemed to him that none of them revealed mental agitation or worry. Unlike them, he was irritated every single day; war or no war, it didn't matter.

He made his way to somewhere peaceful for all he wanted was to be alone. How he longed for happiness! How he envied those who had no worries or obstacles! How he yearned for a life that wouldn't chew him up and throw him in the middle of nowhere at that very young age! But how possible was that?

He reached the vast ocean that he had always detested and felt his eyes burn from the heat and vaporizing salt in the thick air. Yet, he knew it would always be better than his awful home which he no longer defined as one. He landed himself on the soft sand and watched the cheerful families and children as they enjoyed themselves in the water.

He noticed their euphoric face expressions as they splashed and raced each other on the shore. Eventually, his heart ached as he wondered why he was never given the chance to feel like them. He yearned to be innocent like all other children of his age, but his circumstances wouldn't let him. He was meant to live a life like this. He was sentenced by fate to lose his beloved mother; the woman who gave birth to him and left him behind to pave his own way out of his unjust society.

He watched silently as the ocean waves crashed violently onto the shore. Eventually, his mind drifted to the annoying and vexatious voice of his vile step mother echoing in the house that morning, and thanked God for helping him flee to the ocean in time, although the ocean wasn't the best choice he could've taken. It might have been the only one.

The tide ebbed as he shivered and moved backward assuring himself not to make any contact with the despised salty water when it made its way back to him. Right in front of him, he noticed a young pretty girl hurling stones into the ocean. He noted her triumphant smile as each stone sank and formed ripples in the water.

Did she dislike the ocean as much as he did? He watched curiously as she bent to cup her little hands and fill them with the ocean's salty water. After that, she splashed them around herself with a giggle that sounded better than music to his ears. Did that mean she was enjoying herself by the ocean? Or was she debating about whether to or not to?

Involuntarily, she turned around and froze at the sight of the young boy who had been watching her all long. Immediately, he showed her a friendly smile and glanced toward a faint voice that was calling her.

   "I'll be right there mother!" she called back.

She had a mother. A true mother. How lucky she was, he thought.

Then, she turned again to face him as her lips curved into a naughty smile. He froze as she giggled and splashed him with water. He knew he was the only child who wasn't used to playing with others or laughing. It made him feel odd.

He shrieked at once, "No! Please don't do that!" He moved backwards protectively and rested on his elbows. The young girl stopped splashing him for a while, then asked in confusion, "Why?"

  "I don't like the ocean nor its salty water," he answered shamefully. As far as he knew, no one detested the ocean like he did. He noticed her red cheeks drown in a dimple as she smiled and raised an eyebrow in confusion.

She was beyond pretty.

  "Then why are you here?" she asked.

He thought for a moment as he tried to come up with a convincing answer. "I'm trying to overcome my weak points, you know," he finally replied.