Chapter 6

5 Years Later...

Emily is now 6 years old. 

I was sitting on right side of the couch watching TV. Augustus was sitting on the other side of the couch and Emily was laying in the middle of us with her head in Gus's lap. Emily fell asleep and she started wheezing. Me and Augustus looked down at her then we looked up at eachother. We both knew what this was a sign of not having enough air because I do the same thing when I don't have my oxygen tank. That was also the first sign I had when I found out that I had cancer. We know that wheezing is not necssarily mean that she has cancer but just to be sure that she does not have it, we are going to take her to the doctor. Augustus raised Emily's head up and stood up. He laid her head back down on the couch and walked off into the kitchen. "What are you doing, Gus?" I asked Augustus. "I am calling the doctor's office to make an appointment for Emily." Augustus said as he grabbed the phone off of the kitchen table and started to dial the number. While he was calling the doctor's office, I thought that I should take Emily to her room since she was already asleep. I stood up and tried to pick Emily up. I knew that my lungs probably could not take it but I wanted to pick her up and lay her on her bed like a normal mother. Augustus saw me trying to pick her up and immediatly told the nurse on the phone to hold for just a few minutes. He laid the phone back down on the table and walked back over to me. He put his hands on my shoulders and looked down at me. I looked back up at him. "Hazel Grace, I can take her to her room." He smiled at me and I smiled back. He kissed me on my cheek. He took his hands off of my shoulders and started to pick Emily up.  He carried her to her room and I followed him. I stood in the doorway of her room while he Gus laid her down on her bed. He covered her up with her 'My Little Pony' blanket and kissed her on her forehead. He turned around and saw me. He smiled at me and put his arm around me. I shut Emily's door quietly and we walked back into the living room. I sat back down on the couch and Augustus went back into the kitchen and continued with hs phone call. After about 10 minutes, Augustus came back into the living room and sat down next to me. He put his arm around me and I put my head on his chest. "Emily's appointment is tomorrow at 3:15. Should we both go or should just one of us go?" Gus asked looking down at me. I looked up at him and too a deep breathe. "I think we both should go. I mean this is our daughter and if the worst happens, we will both be there to know about it and comfort her." I said. "Perfect." Gus said with a big smile on his face. I smiled back at him. He kissed me on my forehead and then I laid my head back down on his chest. We watched TV for about an hour then we wnt to our bedroom and went to sleep.