Chapter 18

[Chapter 18]

When the fuzz is gone from my vision I recognise a face to the boy being pulled from the room, the boy who caused all of this disaster. Tex.

It’s my fault this happened, I didn’t tell the others that he threatened me and I didn’t warn them about the bad feeling in my gut.

Stupid.

The next  one to be taken from the room is Drew, strapped to a gurney. They rush him from the room as fast as possible and in the matter of seconds the sirens of an ambulance are blaring. Someone gathers me in their arms and I snuggle into their chest, refusing to let the tears fall.

I’m placed in the back of an ambulance on a makeshift bed. Outside neighbours stand from their doorways, watching with curious eyes. They take in everything that’s happening and everyone that’s been injured. Vultures. Why can’t they just mind their own business?

Owen sits beside me and that’s the moment I notice the blood oozing from between his fingers that push tightly against his arm. I sit up quickly with the words in my throat, “Are y-” but suddenly the world tilts to the side and he pushes me back against the bed.

“I’m alright, the bullet went straight through my shoulder.” Owen says as if it’s no big of a deal.

I close my eyes and listen to the sirens, talking and the paramedics tending to Owen. Once they’re finished patching up his wound they turn to me, asking me all sorts of questions like where the pain hurts and on a scale of 1 to 10 as to how bad it is.

Only when they’re gone do the police finally come to ask more questions. I remember one face as Mr Phillips. He helped me when my father was out to get me. He notices me and smiles slightly as he weaves his way towards us from the others.

“You have a way of getting yourself into all sorts of trouble.” He says.

I shrug, “What can I say? It’s a curse.”

He shakes his head with a small smile but it’s quickly gone and he’s serious once more. “Can you tell me anything about what happened here? Why this young man in our car would want to do something like this?”

I roll my lips into my mouth, “He threatened me about running in a race.” Is all I can think to say.

Mr Phillips raises an eyebrow before creasing them in thought, “He threatened you? About a race?”

I nod, “That’s right.”

“Was there anything important about this race?”

“No sir, not that I can think of.”

“And were you at this race Mr Alister?” He says, turning to Owen.

Owen quickly nods his head and I see the sweat forming on his forehead. “Yes but I never knew Reign had been threatened.”

“You’re the boys guardian yes?”

He nods and nervously picks at a loose thread on his jeans.

“Okay, thank you for your time.” He goes to leave but turns back to us, “I’ve organised a ride across the road for your group to go see your friend; he didn’t look too good.”

We say our thankyous and he leaves without another word.

~@~

The hospital is bad enough in the day and even worse at night. Every room you pass is dark and looks as though someone is staring back at you from some hidden corner. The smell doesn’t help either; the stench of cleaning products and medical chemicals tinges my nose and makes me want to choke. Isn’t it too much to ask for a little clean air?