Chapter 10

[Chapter 10]

[Mr Alisters P.O.V]

My body sunk like a tonne of weight, was not only placed on my shoulders, but thrown. They pushed me into the ground but left my head out. I could still see and hear yet I couldn’t move or feel. At this moment I want to be pushed all the way under. I wish I didn’t hear what Reign just said. My heart tells me this is all just a dream yet my mind screams at me that it’s the truth, that it’s real.

When I got a call from Floyd weeks ago my heart had sunk. He told me in full detail what had happened to Reign and the results of it. Coma. When he woke up the first thing I thought he would have done was ask what happened. How things you think can be so different from reality.

Right now as I look at the blank look on Reign’s face as he stares at everyone in the room. His mother cries into her hand while Drew and Floyd try to comfort her. Byron and I stay planted in the same spot we’ve been standing in since we got here.

Awkwardly Reign sits up and hugs himself. An innocent look on his face that doesn’t suit his sharp features. The doctor enters with lips purse. “I need to talk to all of you out here.” He says before walking back out. We all share a look and follow him out as quickly as we can. I don’t know how much longer I can stand being in a room with Reign knowing that it’s not really him.

The doctor clears his throat before speaking. “I’m afraid due to some head injuries he’s lost part of his memory bank that stores people and names. However it’s still possible that he will gain that part again if you don’t push him into it.” He nods and we all start moving back into the room. “Mr Alister, I still need you to fill a few things out, if you will please follow me.”

I nod with my back still to him and glance at Reign through the window. Maybe this whole thing was a bad idea. The policeman outside his door catches my eye, and gives a short sharp nod before looking back ahead. After he was brought into hospital there were faded scars all over his body and a scar. Police were brought in and they labelled it child abuse and the dad was sent to prison only a little while ago, after trying to break the door down to get his son.

Something by the way his dad looked at me as he struggled to get in the room told me that he knew I was the one taking his son away from him and his wife but no-one else could. He has no relatives around here and doctors thought it would be best for him to live with someone he personally knew yet still lives in the same town.

I follow the doctor’s steps until he stops in a busy room, not by people but from books and piles of paper being stacked in piles that line the colourless walls. It’s similar to my sister’s private room that I bought Reign to not long ago, minus all the papers and books.

“Please take a seat and I’ll be back in a second with the papers.” He says, leaving the room.

I do as he says and take a seat on a chair opposite the desk. I’m sitting there for well over five minutes before he returns a pile of papers in his hands. “How much of that do I need to sign?” I ask, hoping it’s only once.

“Oh no.” He says, “There’s only one place you need to sign, the rest are for me and the childcare workers.”

I release a breath I didn’t know I was holding. “So, when can I take Reign home?” I ask while I’m reading through the sheets.

“Once we’ve done some more tests and mended his wounds again, he’s all yours.”

I continue reading, loving the sound of that. All mine. I know the doctor meant nothing by it but somehow I can’t let it go. Nor can I get over the fact that I will have full custody over Reign, at least until he’s 18. I won’t be labelled as his father, I’ll be his guardian.