Chapter 12

[Chapter 12]

[Reign’s P.O.V]

We sat in a small room, a light flickering above our heads like a headlight of a car. The room was small and darkened, a mirror lining one wall as a one way window. The police could see us but we couldn’t see them. It’s been 15 minutes since we first sat down, waiting to see the man that everyone calls my dad.

I can remember things that he did to me, his fingers roaming my body lovingly, his gentle strokes. I can remember his lips against mine, tiny hairs pricking my face lightly but there’s no face to the memory.

The back door opens and two men in uniform walk in, a man walking behind slowly, his hands in chains. His head is held high, the pale light shining on his features. Light brown hair, dark chocolate eyes. Thin lips, stubble. The reality is a painful slap in the face.

There’s suddenly a face to the scene and everything’s twisted around, the truth of so many nights replaying in my head as a movie. His fingers pressing against my skin painfully, his urgency. His lips against mine heavily, the hairs scratching my face like millions of knives. The screams, the pain, the blood. The fear. It’s the face that took my virginity, took my innocence.

“Reign, are you okay?” Owen asks, taking my hand under the table. I wrap my fingers with his, holding tightly. If I’m hurting him he doesn’t let it show.

“I’m fine.” I lie. I don’t want to be here any longer. After all the time of wanting to see my dad I can’t bear to look at him knowing what he did to me. Even if I can’t remember them as clearly, I still remember them. Like they had their own little section in my mind that went unharmed.

The man I call my dad sits on the chair opposite us, his face downcast and painful. There’s dark circles under his eyes from lack of sleep and bruises lining his cheeks. He looks up to me with such anger and hatred that I shield back slightly.

He smirks by the fact that I’m scared of him, “Nice to see you again, Reign.”

I swallow and breathe deeply. I open my mouth but no words come. The silence engulfs the room, my ears ringing from the lack of noise.

Finally, Owen breaks the silence. “You ready to go?” He asks me, “You know what he looks like now.”

I don’t answer, my eyes locked on my dad, his brown eyes penetrating mine. A shiver runs up my spine. Those eyes, they hold a spark in them that I only remember seeing in one other person, Tex.

Owen tugs my hand and I stand up on wobbly legs. “Let’s go.” He says, “You’ve seen him enough.”

Before I can move away fully my dad reaches out quickly and snatches up my hand. He stands and pulls me closer to him, whispering quietly in my ear. “I’ll be back, you wait and see.” Then he sits with a gentle smile on his face that makes him look much younger.

My body stiffens and for a moment I stop breathing. As Owen blindly pulls me from the room and signs out millions of questions run through my mind, only one stays. Back for what?

~@~

[Owen’s P.O.V]

I sit on the couch, book in hand and glasses resting on my nose. Soft music plays down the hall from Reign’s room, a song that he’s constantly playing over and over again. When I ask him why he doesn’t change it he simply shrugs and says, ‘It makes me happy’. So, eventually, I gave up trying to get him to change it.

I read slowly but my mind is elsewhere. Before we left the station Reign’s dad had whispered something to him that scared him. He would talk about it but I could see questions flipping around in his eyes.