Chapter 13

[Chapter 13]

[Reign's P.O.V]

I take a bite of toast just as Owen say; "I'm taking you on a date tonight." I cough and take a sip of water.

"Why?" I ask, heat rising to my cheeks.

He comes over and places a cold hand on my cheek, only setting my face on fire more. "Because you haven't been on a date yet and I think it's appropriate."

I quickly shake my head, "You don't need to do that, really."

He shakes his head, refusing to back down, "Sure I do, and you need a day out of this house."

I sigh but don't say anything more and with a succeeded grin, Owen moves off to get ready for school.

~@~

I walk into the school with Drew and Floyd by my side, they talk aimlessly about the latest things that've been happening. I sense someone watching me and turn my head to find Byron watching me. The second our eyes meet however, he lowers his and shuffles off.

A hand takes my arm, forcing me to stop. "What happened with you two?" Floyd asks, "You were inseparable and now you're dodging each other."

"Like a bunch of girls." Drew adds, earning himself a slap from a passing girl. "Ouch. You slap like a fucking girl!" He yells back.

I'm tempted to smile but it doesn't come and it wouldn't be the same if I force it. I shake my head, "We broke up, that's all." I say, "It's no big a deal."

"No big a deal? You two were perfect together." He says, "What more could you want?"

Owen chooses that moment to walk past and our eyes meet, a true smile tugging at my lips, Floyd catches where I'm looking and his mouth forms an 'O'. He leans in closer. "Are you still trying to get Owen?" He asks.

My eyes snap to his, "What do you mean 'still'?"

He swallows, "Well you see, uh..." Nervously he rubs the back of his head, "Before your accident you were determined to get him."

"I was?"

Drew nods his head quickly, "He's the one that caused you to be in that ca- ouch!" He yelps, rubbing the back of his head where Floyd hit him.

"He didn't 'cause' anything." Floyd mends while I try to wrap my head around it all. "You were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Drew snorts but doesn't say anything. If what Drew is saying is true then who was Owen to me in the first place? Was he a lover? A teacher? An enemy? No, he's not the enemy. As Floyd said I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The bell rings loudly, sparing me from my mixed thoughts. Floyd lets me go and slowly we move off to our classes.

~@~

I walk through the empty corridors until I get to a familiar room. Pushing the door open I'm greeted by Owens gaze heavily on me. He smiles and I'm momentarily stunned. He pulls out from his desk and walks over to me. Placing a hand either side of my face he traps me in.

"I could get used to this." He whispers against my ear and I shiver.

He moves to kiss me but almost on instinct, I push him away. He sends me a confused look and removes his arms. "What's wrong?"

"What were you to me?" I ask, my voice light and uneven. "Before my accident, what were you to me?"

His eyes flash quickly and he shakes his head, "What kind of question is that?" He asks, "What does it matter?"