Chapter 4

[Chapter 4]

We drive to school in a thick silence that I want to break but force myself not to, talking with only make it more awkward than it already is. I look from the corner of my eye at a concentrating Owen driving, much faster than the speed limit may I add. I want to tell him to slow down but another part wants him to go faster, so I stay quiet. Looking up slightly into the mirror I admire Byron’s reflection as he twirls his hands in his lap. He still has slight bruising on his cheek and chin that I couldn’t hide with the makeup but other than that he looks perfect. He catches my eyes in the mirror and embarrassed, he looks down right before meeting my eyes again, his chestnut hair going slightly into his eyes.

Last night, unable to sleep I listened to the beat of Byron’s heart and his steady breaths. Byron crossed my mind multiple times but he didn’t stay there like Owen did, no matter how much I wish he had. After Byron and I pulled away from each other I was ready to ask him out on a date but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. It felt too much like I was doing it for my selfish reasons and not for his. The only thing on my mind was trying to get Owen out, his chocolate brown eyes, jet black hair and full lips… so kissable. Yet illegal in multiple ways. I’m only 16 and he’s around his early 20’s. 4 years different, at the least.

The car engine flips off, pulling me from my thoughts. I asses my eye quickly in the mirror. It’s gone down rapidly last night, from a deep purple and swollen to a baby pink. Looks like I won’t be needing my sunglasses after all, you lucked out this time nurse. “I’ll be seeing you after school again, Reign.” Mr Alister says.

My head snaps in his direction, “I went yesterday,”

He doesn’t look at me as he responds, “I gave you more than one detention.”

I glare at him and leave the car, mumbling, “Whatever,” I pull my bag higher onto my shoulder and storm towards the school. I honestly don’t see how I could like him, he’s a…dick.

I don’t care what Mr Alister or anyone else does, for once in my life I’m going to be selfish, I’m going to ask Byron to go on a date.

Replacing the frown with a light smile I walk through the school doors to be greeted with the same busy hall. Footballs are tossed from all around and people I don’t even know say hello but I keep walking. I reach Floyd and come to a stop.

“Where’s Drew?” I ask, looking around the sea of people.

He shrugs as he leans against a locker, my locker. With a shove I push him over and get out my required books. Double English, great. Byron comes up beside me silently and I throw him a smile which he returns as I get the remainder of my books.

“Fag.” Someone calls out from across the hallway.

My muscles tighten and my jaw clenches. Byron sees this and places his hand on my arm but I shake is off roughly and smash my locker shut, one of the hinges break but I don’t pay any attention. As I storm across the hall towards Tex all I see is red and don’t notice that the hallway has gone silent, waiting to see what will play out.

From the look in his eyes I can tell he’s scared but he doesn’t show it on the rest of his face. Grabbing his collar I pull him into the air and slam his back against the locker, a mere centimetre between our faces.

“I dare you to say that again.” I whisper harshly and I feel him swallow.

He opens his mouth to say something when a whistle is blown, coach. He yells at me, telling me to drop him but I ignore him, seeing and hearing nothing but Tex. However something breaks that, a certain stare at the side of my face , it’s heavier than the rest and even though I don’t look I know it belongs to Mr Alister.