Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

He left the office he was in and my eyes went from his badge to his face and since that thing in my belly was unfurling, growing, swelling, filling my stomach, slithering up my throat, I didn’t notice the look on his face or feel his mood hit the room like a slap.

His eyes caught mine and he stopped dead.

I’d been stopped dead and the minute his eyes hit mine, I moved. Dali-dali kong tinungo ang elevators at pinindot ang button at the same time ay may hinahanap ang aking mga mga.

And then I found what I was looking for.

Exit.

Stairs.

I dashed to the door, opened it, darted through it and then down. Naririnig ko pa ang mga yabag na nagmumula sa suot-suot kong heels and then I heard his boots.

One flight and around, I went faster. Since this is a two-storey building at nasa second floor ako ay kinakailangan ko pang bumaba sa tatlong flights. I went faster.

“Bee.” I heard his voice call and I went even more faster. Malapit na, isang flight na lang. I don’t know why the hell I’m running away from him pero ang tanging alam ko lang ay ayoko muna siyang makaharap, makita at makausap.

“God damn it, Bee.” I heard him clipped. Papalapit ng papalapit ang yabag ng kanyang sapatos kaya naman lalo kong binilisan ang pagbaba ko. Medyo sumasakit na rin ‘yung mga paa ko kakatakbo pababa ng hagdanan dahil na rin medyo mataas-taas din itong heels na suot ko.

I raced down the last stairs and had a hand to the door, opening it when my wrist seized in an iron grip, yanked away, my body with it. I was pulled from the door and pushed against the wall, Lucky’s tall, lean frame fencing me.

I looked to the side. Ayoko siyang tingnan at kung baka ano pa ang magawa ko. “Let me go.” I whisphered.

“Baby, let me explain.” He growled.

I shook my head and kept my eyes averted. “Let me go,” I demanded.

His voice dipped gentle and his other hand curled around the side of my neck. “Bee, babe, let me explain.”

Iwinaksi ko naman ‘yung kamay niyang nakahawak sa aking leeg. “Putang-ina mo, pakawalan mo ako!” I shrieked. One of the perks of being friends with Liz, Jasmin and Ann is natututo kang magmura – yung talagang malulutong na mga mura.

“Bee –” My eyes shot to his and whatever he read in them made him stop talking and flinch.

“Let... me... go..” I hissed.

He let go of me and stepped back.

I walked instantly to the door and pulled it open. Standing in it, tila naman may naalala ako and I turned to him to see his eyes on me, his face unreadable except his strong jaw was set in granite.

“Is your name even Lucky?” I asked quietly.

His glittering and hard blue-eyes held mine. I held my breath to wait for his answer but then I changed my mind.

“You know what? Nevermind. I don’t even give a damn.” Then without another word or a glance back, I walked through the door.

****

The next morning I got a call from the cops, asking me if I could go to their office to answer some of their important questions. Of course, they want me to answer some important questions. Para wala na ring gulo ay pumayag na rin akong pumunta ‘dun.

When I arrived at the station, hindi ko nakita ni anino ni Lucky – if that’s really his name. They brought me to the holding room where the interrogation will proceed to happen. I sat there for a couple of minutes when a man wearing slacks, shirt, tie and ill-fitting sports jacket – obviously a cop – strolled in with folders in his hands.

He sat down next to me and asked, “Do you have any idea why you’re here, Ms. Brackens?” Actually ‘yan ‘din ang tanong ko, I thought but then I never said it out loud.

“To tell you the God honest truth? I have no idea. I paid my bills on time pati nagbabayad din ako ng taxes. I don’t even have any parking tickets.”

 He dropped the folder on the table I was sitting at and sat across from me.

I kept my eyes on him, and like I’d been doing it since I’d been led in that what I felt like hours ago. I looked around the four corners of the room. I’d seen enough cop shows on TV (sometime’s with Jasmin) to know that there’s a recording equipment and a CCTV camera kung saan nanunuod ang iba pang mga detectives.

The detective opened the first folder and said, “Do you know this man, Ms. Brackens?” Nagtataka man ay tiningnan ko ang tinutukoy niya and I was shocked when I saw a very familiar man with a copy of his mugshots sa loob ng naturang folder na ‘yun. Scott.

“Do you know this man, Ms. Brackens?” tanong niya ulit sa akin. Hindi naman ako makapagsalita kaya naman ay tumango lang ako. “Ano ang kaugnayan mo sa lalakin ito?” pagpapatuloy pa nito.

“We we’re in a relationship a few years back.” I answered him truthfully. I know he would get me in trouble. Damn. Bakit nga ba ulit ako nagpakatanga kay Scott dati?

“How long?”

“We dated for two years and I broke up with him three years ago.”

“And you haven’t had any connections with him lately? O kaya naman ay nakikipag-communicate ka ba sa kanya in any way mapa-text, phone call o kaya naman ay nagkikita kayo?”

“No. Wala na akong balita sa kanya.”

“Are you sure, Ms. Brackens?”

“Yes. I’m sure.”

“If that’s the case then, I’ll have to let you go. But I’ll be in touch, Ms. Brackens. Kung sakali mang kontakin ka sa kahit anong paraan ni Scott Westfield tawagan mo lang ako sa mga numeron ito.” And then he handed me a calling card.

I accepted it. “Thank you for your cooperation.” Dugtong pa nito.