8.

His car pulled to a stop outside of the house as we both sat quietly for a moment.
I sat back, looking at him and he smiled.
"Did you have fun tonight?" He asked and I rolled my eyes.
"Yes, Marcus, I had a great time." I promised, biting my lip slightly.
"Good," he said to himself, "Good." He repeated our loud this time, hopping out of the car, I gathered my things as he came to my door and opened, grabbing my hand and helping me out.
"Thank you." I praised, stepping to the side as he shut the door.
"You're welcome." His hand was brought to my face now, I was leaned against his car now.
The moment was there. A small moment of reminiscing.
Ever since I met Marcus 7 years ago he's always been kind to me, a generous kind. We have had great conversation, and I've never been uncomfortable around him.
My mom always said: you gotta marry a man like that, ya know... someone who's got a good head on their shoulders.
My mom appreciated genuinely good men, and she's always hoped for something like that for me.
'Sometimes you gotta wait for their dumb asses to catch up with you. It may take a while but it'll be worth it in the end.'
I never knew if that man would ever have to wait for me, and I guess standing before him now... I think he might.
"Marcus, thank you." I said, again, looking in his deep eyes and nearly melting remembering our day. Marcus is definitely a forward guy, but for some reason it's more of a turn on, than off.
"You already said that." He reminded and I looked down now, putting my hand on his hip.
"No, thank you for everything, you're so respectful, and kind- it's means a lot." I explained. And he laughed, his hand grabbing mine and bringing it to his mouth.
"Naomi, I just want you to be happy, I want to know you're being treated right. You're not just another girl... not to me." He reassured, kissing my hand continuously.
"It means the world." I vow, moving my hand to lace our fingers together. "But I have too much on my mind to give myself to anyone." I confess and he nods, holding his head to the sky for a moment.
"Spooky, right?" He forced a smile to try and ease the let down for him, but I shook my head denying it.
"No, just between school, and the restaurant, and Jamal, his friends- a lot of responsibility on me right now."
"No, I understand." He lied, stepping back and leading me to my door.
"I'm sorry, it's not the answer you were hoping for."
"I knew better than to expect anything from you." He winked. "You've been a wild card lately."
"I know." I laughed softly. "I'm trying to find myself again." I admit and he nodded.
"Well, make sure you're taking care of yourself." He states squeezing my hand.
"Yeah, I'm trying." I quickly unlocked the door pushing it open.
"So." He stood outside of door as I was one step in.
"You coming?" I asked.
"I don't want you getting the wrong idea of me, pretty thing." He reached inside grabbing my arm and pulling me to him. "But, I hope you'll let me take you out more often." He wished and I nodded, looking at the small space between us now.
"So." I continued, my hand crawling up his chest and resting on his shoulder. "Are you gonna kiss me, or will you leave me hanging?" I whispered, our lips a moment away.
He smiled softly, leaning in and pressing his lips to mine gently. I hooked my arm around the back of his neck, holding onto him now. Our kiss deepened gradually making heat grow at the pit of my stomach. His hands traveled up and down my back caught in a heated moment before I pulled away, hearing Jamal clear his throat, apparently in the living room, sitting in silence- watching us...
"Right-" I said breathlessly, "good- good night, Marcus." I panted watching him smile at my flustered state.
"Good night, boss lady..." he rubbed his hands together, taking a step back as I shut the door, leaning my back against and peering inside.
"Oh look, you're all here." I oozed annoyance.
"And we were watching." Ruby added, mouth wide open.
"Delightful." I began to walk away embarrassed.
"Look at you, Mi, getting Freeridge royalty." Monse tsk'd. "That's that pretty girl thing." She laughed and they all joined.
"Royalty to who?" Jamal interjected, never knowing Marcus more than- well- Marcus, family friend.
"Marcus Wright is like the most successful person to come out of Freeridge, dumb ass." Monse continued and I stopped at the hallway entrance as she defended him.
"So far." Ruby added.
"Probably ever, to be honest." She dragged Ruby and looked back at me. "Why didn't you invite him in?" She wiggling her eyebrows at me.
"Well even if I did the moment would've been ruined." I motioned to them and she laughed. Cesar looked up at me, worry in his eyes as I made my way back into the living room.
"You two a thing?" He pressed, as if to intimidate me.
"A thing?" I repeated laughing. "Am I in middle school?" I walked to the couch, leaning on it standing behind Jamal. "For the record, no, I'm not nobodies anything." I explain myself, seeing Monse nod in a little girl power moment.
"You better preach." She encouraged, getting a glare from Cesar.
"And Cesar, you can take that back to your brother." Monse's support drumming up a new found confidence in me and I walked back to my room.

***

"Good morning, Jamal." I greeted from the island, sifting through the applicants again with my emails pulled up. "I got donuts!" I motion to the box before me and he slowly walked over rubbing his eyes on the way before grabbing one out.
"Mmm, thanks." He hummed, mouth full of pastry.
"Of course." I smiled, taking a sip of my warm green tea on the table.
He stood across from me while finishing his donut, and I tried my hardest to ignore his sloppy mouth noises the entire time.
He soon finished and walked to the refrigerator grabbing out my almond milk and pouring himself a glass before taking his position across from me again.
"Hey, Mi."
"Yeah." I started my email for his dad about our hiring event yesterday.
"Do you think I would thrive out of Freeridge?" He asked, unsure of the words as soon as he spoke them.
"What does that mean?"
"I mean-" he paused, "I mean, I'm smart- for Freeridge. Like I excel, and I do well in classes, but the standards are so low they're easy to surpass for the most part." He explained and I looked at him, searching his face for something more.
"I don't think you're smart for Freeridge, Jamal, I think you're smart. Period." I confess, with a shrug. "Your parents are Freeridge people, and there's nothing wrong with that, my dad only moved because of work, otherwise he would've stayed too. I think, no matter what, especially when you're hard working you can overcome any obstacle." My words coming off more sitcom than I had hoped.
"You're a young black man living in a mainly POC community with statistically low income households. You're the son of a Freeridge High School football God, and equally ranking cheerleading mom, your brother coming up next as a Prince to the local football fans. Not only are they FHS legends, but they're always giving back to the community, by running a black owned family run food serving business. Your family has helped so many people here get back on their feet and I can assure you this much- there is more greatness to come from you Jamal." I finished my rant seeing him smile watching me.
"That's that white girl in you." He smiled widely trying to brush off my speech. "That's that other half of you, getting all inspirational."
"Hey, don't come for Jessica like that." I continued the joke as he rested his head in the palm of my hand.
"Will you help me look for out of state schools this summer?" He whispered, leaning across the island now. 
"Of course, just not my campus. I don't need my punk- ass cousin stealing my thunder." I reached over the island and flicked his forehead as he laughed.
"You sure you're not staying here? You looked pretty serious with Marcus last night..." he wiggles his eyebrows.
"You think I got time for a boyfriend? I'm stuck watch you all summer." I teased and he laughed shortly. "But I don't know how appropriate that would be either." I confess and he shrugs.
"Marcus is a tough guy, he doesn't really put people in his world unless he thinks they can handle it." He shrugged and I looked at him confused, holding back laughter.
"Who said that?"
"Marcus did, one day he told me all about his family, and I cried."
"What do you mean?"
"I don't think it's my place to talk about, and I also don't think you should bring up that I told you he was holding this back from you. Marcus may be family to me, but he can also crush my skull between his hands." Jamal shivered. "I've gotta go ready for work!" He looked at the time, running off quickly towards the bathroom.