5.

I couldn't sleep.
Between the stupid Cesar and Oscar I couldn't get comfortable...
Justifying this- them...
None of it made sense.
Monse has been blowing up my phone all night, asking if it was handled, what happened. Text, and missed call after more texts and missed calls...
I pinched the bridge of my nose tightly, sitting pretzel legged in my bed, my eyes sore and my throat dry.
I looked at my window that had show a sliver of sunlight.
Today was paperwork day, but I would honestly rather die than go and crunch numbers.
But Dwayne said every Thursday I have to send reports...
I moved myself closer to the edge of my bed, throwing my legs over the side and waiting for motivation to strike.
But there was nothing in this world that could make me want to begin the day.
"Hey... Mi?"
Except for him...
Jamal spoke softly on the other side of my door.
I tried to clear my throat, preparing myself to speak. "What's up, Jamal?"
"Can I come in?"
"Of course." I assured as the door was slowly pushed open.
"Good morning." He smiled softly and I did the same out of politeness. "Are you okay?" He asked quietly as if it were a secret.
I shook my head putting it on his shoulder as he put an arm around me.
"It's okay." He assured, making my heart swell, as much as he was a goof ball, he was a true angel at his core.
"You know me, I'll survive." I shrug into him, his hand rubbing circles in my back as I sobbed into his cotton t shirt.
"Did you want to talk about it?" He pressed and I sat up, responsibility taking over.
"Jamal, it's about Cesar..."
"What about him?" He swallowed hard as I grabbed his hand in mine.
"Cesar is in Santos." I state and he furrows his brows together.
"By affiliation?" He assumed and I shook my head.
"By being jumped in." I explained, squeezing his hand.
"What? When? Why?"
"He chose this, and last week..."
"He's a gang member?"
"Yes." I answered and he fell silent, looking at the rug beneath our feet.
He let go of my hand and stood up.
"That's why you went there?"
"Monse thought-"
"Monse put you up for that? Who knows what Oscar would've done, he's a fucking gang leader, did he hurt you? Are you okay? Is Cesar hurt? He got jumped in? I can't believe it..." he rambled and I put my hand up hoping to stop him.
"It's no ones fault, I would've done it whether she asked me or not."
"We have to get him out of town." He schemed, beginning to pace.
"Jamal." I tried to interject.
"We have to save him." He continued, tuning me out.
"Jamal, come on." I stood now, watching him spiral.
"But I'm not smart enough- Ruby!" He blurted leaving my room and I followed closely behind him.
"Jamal, it's done, you guys just need to be there for him. Keep him grounded." I gave him the most bleak advice to hopefully keep him out of it.
"Done. He's coming and so is Monse."
"Jamal." I rubbed my temple, feeling my head begin got throb.
"Don't you have to be at work?" He deflected the issue at hand.
"I'm only doing paper work." I play into his tactic.
"Well it's later in the day in Tennessee, you should probably get it started." He suggested, trying to shoo me out of his room.
"Jamal, just be smart about this." I pleaded.
"See you later." He shut his door on me, and I slumped back to my room, going into my bathroom to shower before going to the restaurant.

***

I looked through the rest of the requests and began to lightly map out the rest of the months schedules.
I yawned wildly, pushing my messy hair onto my back as a call came through my phone.
"Hi mom." I answered quickly.
"Hey sweetie, are you okay? You sound like you've been crying?" He asked more than assumed, confused.
"Just tired, there's a heat wave here, couldn't sleep." I lied, putting my forehead in my palm comfortably.
"I'm sorry to hear that, baby, but how's it going at work?" She changed the subject swiftly.
"Good, doing Uncle Wayne's paperwork, and scheduling, getting Tyus and Kelani's payroll set up for next month." I explained, opening my eyes and going into my email. "I'm gonna email you the restaurants address and I'm gonna need their routing information." I explained, indulging in a break from my own mind.
"Oh perfect, Tyus and Kelani are so excited, Mi." My mom gushed with pure joy.
"I'm excited too, Jamal and his crew are going to love having some more people their age here." I smiled, looking at the picture on Wayne's desk of all of us from 2011.
"Oh I'm sure if it!" My mom continued.
"Well, I'm just tying up some loose ends here, I'll FaceTime you later though." I promise, scratching my head quickly.
"Perfect, have a good rest of your day, baby girl. And get some rest!" She ended the call and I smiled, setting my phone down and finishing up my number report for Wayne.
I tidied up after myself, gathering my things and walking out of the back.
"Have a good day guys, see you tomorrow Carmen and Marcus!" I waved into the order window heading Marcus chuckle from the back.
"See you, Naomi." He shouted from the kitchen and Carmen gave a nod, which is honestly all I can ask for at this point...
I squeezed through the line and put the door, looking at my phone seeing a Snapchat from Tyus. I stopped, opening it and smiling. He sent a selfie with the big mouth filter that said can't wait for Freeridge.
Me either, little guy...
I looked up at my car seeing a body pressed against the drivers side door.
Fuck...
"Aye, Princesa." Oscar greeted and I clutched my laptop to my chest tighter as if it would swallow me whole and put me out of my misery.
I didn't say anything but press my button once, and reached for the door handle.
"Silent treatment, I like you better quiet anyways." He assured, stinging me slightly as he brought his hand to my cheek. "Damn, mami, you got some serious bags under those bonitos ojos marrones..." his thumb ran smoothly under my eyes and I turned my head away. "Do I need to get you mad again to get some real action this time?" He teases and I shot my head to face him again quickly.
"There she is..." he smirked and my stomach flipped.
"Piss off, I have nothing to say." I pulled my door open slightly and he leaned back slamming it shut again.
"Where are my glasses?" He changed the subject, still caught up on them.
"Home."
"Then let's go." He turned to open my door, and I slammed it shut on him and he turned around, smiling as he saw my arm right beside his head holding the door closed.
"Please, Oscar, let me go home." I pleaded, completely exhausted.
"Yeah, we can go." He assured, turning around again.
"Please." I begged, holding the door closed, all energy was completely drained from me this time.
He turned to me and put his hand on my cheek pulling my forehead to his lips and holding it there for a moment.
"Our discussion isn't over, Naomi." He whispered, pressing his lips to my cheek now. "I'll see you around, mi sol." His thumb rubbed my cheek a few times before he moved from his position in from of me and walked off.
I don't even remember driving home, just sleeping...