Memories (3)

(based on no episode in particular. Happened in... Merag's memories of her past life (while she was in coma after they returned from the ruins), it might help if you've watched episode 108-109, still partly inspired from im-aggressive's drabble. Any situation you recognize might not come directly from me :p).

Disclaimer: Of course I don't own YGO Zexal, otherwise, IV would be an anti-hero protagonist along with Rio as the heroine, and the anime would be full of dramas instead of card games!

***

Nasch was restless. How could he not, when his country was in the brink of war after he had supposedly signed a peace treaty. Nothing seemed to go according to plan lately. And then he got a report of a suspicious appearance near the border. For all he knew, it could be spy from the opposing country, but his sister, Merag, being a priestess she was, insisted that she would tend to the man first and would send him for interrogation once she was done.

"Have you got anything form that man?" Nasch initiated as soon as she was back to the throne room.

"No, he's still unconscious as of now, and the guards are standing vigil. No need to worry, oniisama," she replied solemnly.

"We shouldn't be taking care of this..." the purple haired king rested his elbow on the armrest, propping his head.

"I know you are stressed out, oniisama, but we need to keep order in this kingdom. We are not the same with those bloodthirsty people," Merag regarded the last sentence with disgust. "Besides, he's resting in the house near the eastern border anyway, so there's no sense of wasting manpower."

"That reminds me, you have to perform the cleansing ritual soon, don't you?"

"That I do. My acolytes are preparing it as we speak."

"You can double the guard, if you feel the need to."

"I don't want to draw too much attention. You should focus on your garrison, oniisama," Merag suggested.

Before Nasch could reply, Durbe entered the room with his men and Merag immediately gave way to the knight by scooting over to the side.

"How's the enemy?" Nasch demanded, looking visibly tensed at his second-in-command's arrival.

"There's still no sign of them, so far. But we're still keeping watch," Durbe replied.

The king sighed softly, knowing that his country wasn't going to be destroyed anytime soon. Their land was surrounded by ocean, so they could spot anything coming from across the sea, lessening the possibility of a sudden ambush. On the other hand, they were at a big disadvantage if the enemy did try to attack them from any direction as their land wasn't all that big to begin with, and they'd be forced to defense if they didn't have enough preparation to push the enemy back as soon as they came.

"Have you decided who you're going to send as our envoy?" Durbe asked, after a few moments passed.

"I'll go there myself, if I have to. We don't know what the enemy is thinking—"

"Which is even more reason not to go near there, not you, at least," the gray haired young man interjected resolutely. "I don't mind you going into the front line. But you, walking straight to the enemy's territory at a time like this is like gift-wrapping ourselves to their front gate. Besides, your job is to give order, not reconciling with the enemy."

Nasch banged the armrest of his throne, evidently angered and raised his voice when he said, "I can't just send people out without knowing what's going to become of them. The worst they could do is to make hostage out of them—"