CHAPTER TEN

Rhoda froze, considering Hassan's accusations as his angers release-button, her mind searching for the exact time when his anger had first started to appear against her; known for his rigid self-control and his poker face; she recalled it was during the time they were with Miles and using the satellite.  She wondered if it stemmed from a realisation of why he had always been defeated so easily himself, from trying to kidnap her. She would have been angry too, in that case; she mused; trying to put herself in his place, as Akmed had advised her to. She would consider getting the satellite too, or find a way to disable it; if she were him; and was thinking of trying to kidnap her again.

"How much do you value your freedom?" She asked him, curiously, watching him frown and show surprise at her question, his scar turning white along the edges and his mouth twisting into a leer. 

"Thinking of keeping me your prisoner in the tower?" He growled, then regretted his words as he saw the colour leech from her face and her eyes turned on him in angry accusation, watching her fight for control.

"No, Sidi Ben would know and be spitting fire at me."Rhoda stated. "You have to be polite to me, as I do to you. The penalty is probably the same. I don't want to be married and certainly not until my agreed time. I guess you don't either, so you have to be  as careful not to cause yourself disgrace now, as I do to see that you don't. We are skating on thin ice, Hassan, and I don't aim to be the one to crack it." Rhoda gave him a sharp eyed look she hoped would appear threatening.

"I consider myself already married!" Hassan threw the look back at her, watching her shock cause her mouth to drop open, but it was instantly controlled and snapped shut, her eyes narrowing and alert to his own controlled stance.

"Explain!" Rhoda hissed, wondering if his father had told him of their marriage being at the end of their trial period together, during his punishment, but couldn't ask, nor remember any communications between Hafiz and Hassan..

"It is a long story." Hassan growled, the monitor beeping and its mobile beginning to buzz.

Rhoda reached for it automatically and flipped the 'on speaker' switch, letting Hassan hear what was said, as she listened to Drake's enquiry of her heart-beat showing her in need of assistance.

"I am fine thank you, Drake. I don't need assistance. Hassan and I are just airing some old grievances we need to get out of our systems." She assured him, then listened for his reply.

"About time, Sheikha. Be honest with each other and get them all off your chests; your grievances." He qualified.

"We will. Don't worry. Goodnight, Drake, goodnight, Miles." Rhoda listened to their replies, then shut off the mobile, focusing on dark eyes and a scowling mask of politeness. "When have you ever been honest with me, Hassan?" She replaced the mobile on its slot on the computer.

"All our lives, but you never chose to believe me, after you were attacked and ended up in hospital, Pr...Sheikha." Hassan moved  across the bedroom and took his stance at her bedroom door, watching her watching him.  

Rhoda sighed and felt more comfortable with him there than too close to his bed, blocking out her nightmares of the attack. "So, who is it you consider you are married to?" She asked him bluntly, not taking her eyes off him as she moved to sit on the edge of her bed.

"You." He stated grimly. "Though I don't expect you to admit our alliance was through the correct procedure." His eyes dared her to contradict him as again her shock was palpable and he could hear her gasp of shocked denial, causing the mobile to buzz again after a short beep on the monitor.

"It's okay, I am fine. We are just talking!" Rhoda didn't bother picking up the mobile, knowing Drake would hear her through her transceiver, her turn to see shock widen Hassan's eyes, as he realised that too.