CHAPTER FIVE

Rhoda and Julian were quite happy about Anton dismissing all of Vivien's relatives. They applauded his action and were prepared to have him stay and enjoy Rhoda's cooking and house keeping, but he preferred to visit their aunt Yolinda and make sure she was alright; having had a comprehensive report from Grace Marchant that food poisoning had caused Yolinda's collapse and that she was now recovering her strength to fight off any lingering effects.

Rhoda promised him she would hire responsible staff for the chateau and would see that Julian was well looked after, even reminding him she had promised Julian to take him with her for the fashion show.

"Should the children be brought home?" Anton asked her gravely, accepting her word, having called her into the housekeepers office to have a talk in private. 

"I don't think Julian want's them to see him as he is. He needs to fill out and regain his confidence." Rhoda stated.

"Ah, yes, in his position so would I. There is one other matter." He hesitated, steep-ling his fingers together against his mouth, not sure how to put his next question to her. He looked across the desk at her clad in jeans and tee-shirt, totally different from the fashion model he had considered her before today, having now realised she had always had Julian's health and safety at heart when dealing with his divorce. "Julian has asked me to confront Sheikh Ben Ali about Hassan's comment of you and I being betrothed." He finally found the words to put his concern forward. "Should I do that?" He asked her frankly.

Rhoda let out a breathy sigh, having thought he would ask sooner or later. "Not advisable. Sidi Ben  will consult me before he makes any decisions about my welfare. I have his assurance that he will not choose a betrothed for me until my twenty-first birthday." She hoped that was still the case.

"Your Shiekh has guarded you well." Anton smiled, relieved by her assurance.

"Yes his son's guard me well, Abdul and Akmed. I have to tell you something too, which will put your mind at rest about Julian."   Rhoda changed the subject quickly.

Anton waited to hear what she meant, but a trill ring came from her jeans pocket and Rhoda grimaced, picking her mobile out and flipping it open as she put it to her ear. 'Excuse me a moment.' She mouthed to Anton, who had stood up to leave, but her finger stopped him as she listened to the caller, her face showing a moment's fear before her expression became guarded.

"That was Drake!" Rhoda snapped her mobile shut and stared at Anton a moment, slipping it back into her pocket, before releasing her held breath, then told him the context of the call she had listened to. "Hassan is sending an architect, a surveyor and an antique's expert here tomorrow morning, to assess the damage he caused."

"He has you rattled just hearing his name." Anton made the observation and stood up. "Did he give Drake a time? I will stay and take care of them for Julian."

"Yes, ten o'clock your time." Rhoda stood up too. "Do you remember Julian's fiancee, who went off with another man before the wedding?" She asked, halting his move towards the door.

"Vaguely. I can't remember her name." He frowned.

"Ursula. I have some of my workforce looking for her to ensure she is or not, married. If she is, I won't tell him, but if she isn't, I will find a way for them to meet again. I know he still loves her. Vivien was a rebound thing."

"Was that the other thing you were going to tell me?" He smiled.

Rhoda moved slowly, checking where Julian was before replying. "Hassan raped me when I was twelve!" That hadn't been what she was about to say, but now she regarded Anton as a friend like Julian and the thought of it happening had been triggered by hearing Hassan's name.