CHAPTER NINETEEN

Hassan's heartbeat was giving Rhoda some concern in the silence while the Reverend McPheet conducted their marriage; who'm her Grandfather had brought with him in the hope she could have a western-style wedding; until the reverends introduction of them as His Highness Crown Prince Hassan Rashnu and Her Highness Princess Rhoda Rashnu, when the subsequent loud response of their families soon blotted out the sound. However; she heard Hassan's whisper close to her ear; "Don't delay the riders! They are my guests for our next wedding! Let them come now!" his growl making her stiffen; confirming he had heard her whispered concern to Drake earlier, of hearing approaching camels coming fast from the direction of the silk road, already having crossed Alif's border and now approaching the City highway.

"Who are they?" Rhoda turned and looked up into his eyes. "Why is your heart erratic?" She saw his lips were circled in a white tinge of his olive skin, his breathing coming in shallow gasps, her whispered questions made close to his ear, controlling her fear his nearness and their marriage, were causing her. "Is your wound causing you problems?"

"My guests." He repeated, shaking his head. "My heart...because you are my wife now and all the years of trying to get you at this point are behind me. I began to doubt I would manage it when I ended up in prison for what Fatima did. I sent my personal invitations out as soon as I was sure we were to be married today, but they have had a long way to come. My Sidi, and our  friends are coming." Hassan managed to take some deep breaths to enable his reply, his scarred cheek showing her his grimace, and the effort he made to gain control of his breathing reassured her he would be all right.

Rhoda was tugged into the arms of Rhania and Dhania and were soon surrounded by all the women; as Hassan was congratulated by Sheikh Ben Ali and his father being surrounded by the young men; her Grandmother's gown being held up by some of her maidens as they moved her slowly towards their side of the room.

Hassan couldn't let Rhoda know who was racing to to be here. His sharp whisper of protest at her suggestion of the helicopter being quicker; as Rhoda was pulled away from him: hopefully would be enough for her to stop Drake from picking them up, the only chance he had of making her surprise last till the riders arrived and faced her, hoping she had heard it.

"Drake, let them come." Rhoda whispered, her face buried in the neck of Dhania, hugged close and welcomed again into their family, the jewelled engagement and wedding rings on her finger admired by the women around her, reminding her Hassan's word was now her law. Her fear beginning to restrict her own breathing, at the thought of his control over her, but she was with the women and forced her fear to subside again using all her power of concentration to regain her self control. Her stomach continued to churn.

There were photographs taken by various members of Sheikh Ben Ali's family, persuaded by her Grandfather to take as many as they could so he could have some to take home with him. One of Hassan's brother's had been consigned to video the whole wedding for Hassan, wanting to be able to look back on it in years to come, when his victory had faded and needed a prod to his memory of it, the day he achieved his life's goal, not once but twice in succession, the next wedding to be video'd too.

"Rhoda, thank you." Lord James hugged her, getting her to pose with him and his children and then the whole family, before all the guests were directed to join together for more photo's, with lots having Rhoda and Hassan at the centre.

"A toast everyone!" Sheikh Ben Ali called out over the noise of their chattering, organising the wait-staff to bring in the trays of champagne filled glasses, waiting for everyone to have one, before he gave his toast to the happy couple, wishing them a life as happy as his own.

Rhoda listened to the speeches that followed his, Prince Hafiz praising Hassan's choice and determination, Abdul as best man telling anecdotes of his friendship with Hassan over the years, but Rhoda hardly heard a word as her reaction to Hassan having his arm around her and his closeness, kept her stomach churning and her concentration fixed on not letting her fear cause her to throw him away from her as her instincts wanted her to do, even though his other arm was where Rocky had sat since being their ring bearer. Lifted up to take part in putting the rings on their fingers and to kiss the bride when Hassan was prompted to, who made do with kissing her hand where his ring bound them together. It was only her love for Rocky and her protection of him, that gave her control its strength to resist temptation.