Hate {Chapter5}

I screamed, a high pitch shriek that seemed to compliment the quiet of the house quite nicely. And before I knew it, the awful sight in front of me was disappearing, and the floor was suddenly huge beneath me. For a moment, I thought that maybe the earth was swallowing me alive, but I finally realized that - no it wasn't the floor it was me. I hit the floor hard, a sudden pain blooming in the back of my head as I did.

Somewhere, very far away I could hear a smack, and a sharp pain in my head once again, as I finally fell into the darkness.

"Hazel, damnit! Wake up!"

"Get up. Fuck you Hazel, get the hell up!"

I was on a roller coaster racing down the steepest cliff there was, screaming with the air slowly rushing out of my lungs. The coaster rumbled, repeatedly and I thought, 'Wait, this isn't a roller coaster."

Suddenly I was falling down a cliff, my arms flailing wildly. I searched for something to grab onto,but there was nothing.

I awoke in a pair of sturdy arms, screaming and grabbing onto the arms tightly. I squeezed them to my chest.

"Hazel," said Ben's familiar voice. I jumped slightly, then looked up at him, confused. I now realized that my head was throbbing painfully, and I couldn't think clearly. My eyes were watery and dry, my throat scathing, and my whole body ached. I had no idea what was going on, but I could faintly see my room around me. We were sitting on the floor. I held my burning head in one hand, and clenched Ben's protective arm in the other. I was sitting in his lap (bridal style), and he was holding onto my knees and supporting my head.

"Hazel, what did you DO," he asked, I could tell he was slightly pissed off.

I looked around and tried to think of how I ended up on the floor. I had no answer, I couldn't remember.

"You weren't answering your cell, and Ali said that you were sick. You didn't answer the house phone, and you scared the crap out of me. Oh, and you left the door unlocked," he said accusingly. "Then I get up here and find you unconscious on the floor, your head bleeding, and screaming your head off. What happened?"

I jumped suddenly, remembering something. I squirmed out of Ben's arms and looked around the room nervously, keeping Ben behind me. Suddenly that fear from the previous night was back, although all the lights were on now. The alarm clock said 3:02 am.

"There was someone in the house," I said, hearing the crazy in my voice. "They were outside. God Ben, they were everywhere! " I tried to keep my calm, but with the last few words, I was shivering.

He looked at me sternly, trying to figure out if I was lying or not, I thought. He looked around the room dangerously. I had never seen Ben this way before, that look on his face was of pure danger, yet protection at the same time. He stood up, walked slowly to the bathroom. I could hear the click of the light and the swish of the shower curtain before he finally came back into the room. He proceeded to check under the bed, behind the curtain, and behind my door.

He looked at me, a doubting look on his face.

"Ben," I said sternly. "There was something in my room. In my house. In my yard. Every.where."

Ben was sweating, and it wasn't until then that I realized the room was blazing. I remembered turning the heat on previously that night, and regretted it.

I tried to stand, holding onto the baseboard of my bed for support, but I sunk back to the ground, my vision black from the blood rushing to my head.

I groaned and grabbed my head, which was still bleeding. Ben rushed over to me, picking me up bridal style once again.

"Your sleeping at my house for the rest of the night."