Sanctuary

****This song is the anthem for this story****

Sanctuary

Leaning against the wall for support Harper released a shallow breath, her lungs struggling to take in oxygen.

"Are you okay?" The slender brunette sitting on a small pile of pillows asked.

"Fine." Harper croaked, even though it was a bald faced lie. She was anything but fine.

Midway through the photo shoot Harper staggered into the bathroom after the amateur model pointed out that she was bleeding from her shoulder. Looking into the mirror Harper found another wound closer to the middle of her back just as her ability to breath became impossible. Kiev was in danger. The thought crossed her mind as she caught her breath again and afterwards as she watched her wounds fade away leaving her blood stained blouse as the only evidence of her wounds. Although she still felt bitter about Kiev's abrupt departure when she was willing to give herself to him in order to heal Harper couldn't ignore the sense of dread she felt.

Kiev didn't look well last time she saw him and the momentary pain Harper felt from those injuries weren't mild. Kiev was injured and in serious pain, he needed healing. Her heart constricted painfully at the thought of Kiev wandering into his feeding club and healing from one of the many willing females. He's in pain, she reminded herself but it didn't lessen the sense of betrayal she felt.

Focus. Turning her attention back towards the brunette sitting before her Harper lifted the camera up when a loud crashing sound came from the bedroom. The model on the floor squeaked and grabbed a pillow to cover her cleavage before sending Harper a concerned look.

  Pulling the camera over her head, Harper motioned for the woman to remain in the living room as she slowly tip toed towards her bedroom. Despite the slight hampering of her heart against her ribs, Harper's expression remained neutral. She couldn't let her fear show. Someone might have broken into her apartment and it might not be your ordinary human burglar.

   With her shoulders steeled and her chin lifted in defiance Harper entered her bedroom to see a body sprawled out across the foot of her bed, gripping the bedsheets as his body slowly slid to the ground. Although the intruder had his face buried in the rumpled sheets Harper took one glance at the disheveled ebony hair and her fear doubled but not for her own wellbeing.

  Dropping beside the fallen body Harper wrapped her arm around his chest and mustered all her strength as she stood. Her legs wobbled beneath her as she took careful steps around the bed, her fingers shaking as they grazed a sticky patch of exposed flesh. Bile rose in her throat and her head felt light, threatening to ruin her shaky exterior by fainting. Tampering the sudden urge to puke Harper dragged the limp body to the left side of her bed and without caring about the damage the blood would do to her sheets she set the body down gently.

   Kiev groaned as she grabbed his feet and heaved them up onto the mattress. Stepping back Harper ran a shaky hand through her hair as her eyes slid across the blood smeared across Kiev's clothing, splattered in his hallow cheeks and covering his hands. Harper didn't doubt he was in a fight, the wounds and different shades of blood hinted that it was a supernatural creature. Or creatures, she corrected as she spotted purplish mush and multiple abnormal flesh beneath his nails.

"Is everything alright in there?"

   The question from the other room pierced her thoughts and brought her to reality. Sparing a quick glance at Kiev's unconscious body on her bed Harper knew she shouldn't leave him in this state but she couldn't allow her client to walk in and see him either. Ignoring the voice that told her to remain with Kiev, Harper rushed out into the living room to where the model remained sitting.