Riding Shotgun

Riding Shotgun

Running a hand through her hair Harper released an exasperated sigh "Keep your chin up Ryan." she instructed

The small boy responded by thrusting his small chin upwards he grinned happily at her, the gap in the front of his mouth reminding her of his age and his lack of understanding of instructions. Shaking her head she stepped forward, releasing the camera from her hands and cupped the side of his face, adjusting his head herself.

"Much better." she beamed at his smiling face

Returning to her post Harper lifted the camera hanging down her neck, looking through the lenses on her end of the lense she groaned inward when the small red head lowered his head again. You'd think after the first three times they have gone through this he would understand to stay still. Lowering the camera she returned to Ryan's side a soft smile on her lips as she readjusted his head once more.

"Please try to stay still. Can you do that little man?" she asked

Shaking his head up and down he tensed and Harper realized he was taking it literally. Great, she thought with an inward eye roll. She was prepared for moments like this. Reaching into the small fanny around her hips she pulled out a tiger stripped lollipop. The young boy's eyes widened as they fell on the multicolored sweet, a grin spreading across his lips.

"You'll get this after a few more shots but remember, stay still." she warned sternly

His head bobbled furiously up and down. Holding the lolli to her left, beside the camera Harper lifted the lense to her eye, finger hovering over the button. Pleased with Ryan's broad grin and shimmering eyes she snapped the photo all while wagging the lolli from side to side to ensure he kept his gaze and mind on the sweet treat. Snapping four more pictures Harper lowered the camera and started for the small boy who bounced in the stool chair. Handing him the lolli she patted his head praising him for such a good job. When all else failed candy was always her saving grace.

"That's it Carmen." Harper spoke to the mom who sat at the corner of the room

Standing up she grabbed the cheap knockoff designer bag from the floor beside her seat. Carmen was the perfect definition of broke rich girl. From a far she may seem like a trust fund baby and maybe some couldn't tell even when she came closer but Harper could. The young mother was slender and lean, her bleached blonde hair -that looked like she did in her own bathroom- didn't cover the fury auburn hair properly, the under layer of her shoulder length hair showings when she walked. The Chanel earrings she wore were changing color, the matching necklace dangling down her chest had three C's. Her clothes weren't too bad, jeans, a short sleeved cropped tee that went a little too high exposing the pale skin that contrasted with her bronze torso. Add a heavy coating of makeup and too many bangles on one wrist and that was Carmen. She was what Harper called a wannabe rich girl who never will actually get close enough to sniff the faintest scent of the real wealthy people.

Harper liked the woman who lived two floors down. Her son was pretty cute and she was pretty cool herself.

"It's forty bucks, right?" she asked

Harper watched as she dug around her large bag "Actually its twenty." she corrected her

Pausing in her search for cash that was rolled up somewhere between her lipstick and some tissues. "Harper, no."

"This is your third visit since I started this business so you guys get a discount, twenty or it's free." Harper shrugged carelessly

Carmen's shoulder slumped as she sighed, a small smile stretching across her dark pink lips "Thank you."