No One Wins In War

No One Wins In War

  Growing up Harper had always thought her parents were polar opposites and often wondered what had brought them together even as an adult. Her father had always been the mean parent, the one who had her constantly working out, studying the history of Hunters, forcing her and Liam into a strict diet that striped them of a childhood. Her father's sole focus was on becoming a great Hunter and he forced that focus on to the twins even as children. But her mother, her mother was different.

  After long practices Harper's mother would draw a hot bath for the twins to relax their muscles, she would sneak cookies under their pillows before bedtime without their father's knowledge. When their father was out of the country on official business she would even dare to take Harper and Liam to the park where for a few hours they would forget the heavy duty placed on their young shoulders and act their age. Every great memory Harper had growing up was all thanks to her mother, she was her hero and best friend.

"No, you're w-wrong..." Harper whispered, her eyes filling with tears. Her mother wasn't violent, she wouldn't kill anyone. She was kind and loving, she wouldn't! "My mom couldn't have."

  Kiev snorted his disagreement. "You're mother didn't have a shred of kindness in her black heart."

  Clenching her hands into a fist Harper shook her head, memories of her mother's soft smile and loving eyes flashed through her mind. "You didn't know know her, she could never harm anyone. She wasn't like that."

  A menacing growl of annoyance ricocheted around the room as a cool, darkness creeped into the small room. Turning to glance at the dancing shadows on the wall Harper didn't notice the looming presence standing before her until she felt a hand roughly grip her chin and tilt her head upwards. Her eyes widened upon meeting the dark, gleaming crimson orbs that bore into her own. Fear curled around her as she noticed the darkness racing towards Kiev, wrapping around his body as they hissed at her. His fingers tightened on her skin as he lifted her chin higher, forcing her to stand on her knees while gripping the duvet closer to her body.

  His upper lip curled as he released a deep growl, revealing a set of sharp pearly teeth. "No, you don't know her. You don't know how she made it her mission to destroy my family."

  Gulping past the lump in her throat Harper couldn't find her voice to respond as the shadows engulfed Kiev making his handsome features unrecognizable beneath the shadow of hate. Trembling with fear Harper felt the tears glide down her cheeks but made no attempt to swipe the salty streaks away.

"Your mother knew how much mine wanted the war between our people to end. She knew how to manipulate my mom's hope for peace to her own advantage. So your mother slipped a secret invitation to mine during an all councils meeting claiming she wanted to discuss a treaty in private. It would allow both our people to coexist except that wasn't her intention at all. My father forbid her from going, he didn't trust your people and with good reason."

Her chest tightened as fear's cold fingers curled around her already hampering heart. Kiev slid forward and jerked her chin higher. Wincing at the pain Harper kept her tear filled gaze on his, stunned by the raw hatred burning in their pitch black depths.

"Unable to pass up the opportunity for peace my mother snuck out to meet yours. When she arrived at the location she wasn't met by someone willing to end a life long war, instead she was met by three shapeshifters." He hissed through clenched teeth. "It was a trap."