capítulo cuatro

LA TORMENTA

Ruby walked into the Martinez casa after leaving orientation

Ruby walked into the Martinez casa after leaving orientation. That was the longest afternoon he'd shared with the crew. Ruby sighed sitting on his bed, finally a room of his own. His madre, Geny called him out of his room. Sharing some devastating news to Ruby.

Ruby was instantly bothered. "What do you mean I don't have my own room?" Ruby snapped. "It's only been four hours!" Geny was unaffected by his attitude possibly believing it was because of Mario's absence in the casa now and his breakup with Julianne. "Abuelita's room is flooded from the broken washer. She's going to have to sleep in your room till we can dry it out." Ruby rolled his eyes. The excuse wasn't enough for him.

"Did you try renting a wet vac?" He asked as Geny frowned. "Papa thinks there might be mold." "So?" Ruby's eyebrows arched in confusion. "So! She can't sleep in there." Geny explained Ruby continued to argue, "Ma, she grew up in an Adobe hut."

"Ruby, you've never had your own room. Why do you need one now?" Geny asked. The Martinez boy did not want to explain the real reason why he'd been wanting his own room. It had two words, Julianne Deluna. "For stuff... like... my brain. I mean, there's scientific evidence that the brain grows every day. And my brain needs a room. A room to grow. Do you really wanna challenge science?" Ruby rambled on,

Geny ignored his protests and scientific research. Continuing to hand him Abuelita's stuff for their new room. "Why can't she stay in the living room? Grandma hasn't been to Mexico in a while. Come on ma. I'm a man! I can't share a room with Abuelita." Ruby snapped

Ruby's mom got annoyed with his persistence. "What if I give you another option?" Ruby nodded "Yes, please, anything. Bring it." Geny smiled "You can bunk with the twins!" Ruby's glimmer of excitement instantly washed away. He was going to be living with Abuelita.

Jamal and Monse were bickering about the crew not telling the Finnie girl about Cesar's harsh words. Julianne just walked beside them not saying anything. "Are you high?" Jamal screeched, "I'm not gonna hash shit out!" The three glanced over to Cesar, Jamal instantly getting annoyed while Monse was being persistent. "To what end? Death!" Jamal wondered out loud. Monse hadn't budged on giving up about Cesar. It's been the main topic of conversation since she'd found out. "Cesar might've joined the gang."

Jamal hoped Cesar becoming a Santo would finally make Monse drop it. She was relentless. "He's not stupid. He's affiliated, yes, because of his brother, but..." Monse pleaded. "And his cousins, his uncles, his dad, his grandpa. Even the gay one." Jamal began to list. "I know. I know." Julianne sighed, finally speaking. Julianne knew Monse wasn't going to drop the situation, she needed to know.

Jamal's eyes perked up. "Wait. You knew about the gay one? He goes by the name Bananas. It's not that subtle." "No!" Julianne shrieked, "I know Cesar's family has been in that life forever. But he'd never join a gang. He's an outlier. So whatever's going on, it's not that." Jamal shook his head, "It's not that. He's not the same. He dumped us."