Chapter 4

Sanjana couldn't fathom what her aunt was asking of her.  She couldn't get married.  She wasn't worth it.  Rohit had agreed however.  He had absolutely no idea what he was getting himself into. 

"I can't." Sanjana said. 

"Okay, whatever you want." Meenakshi didn't look happy, but she said nothing to challenge Sanjana's decision. 

 Sanjana immediately felt bad about her decision.  Her aunt had been nothing but nice, warm, and welcoming to her.  She'd only asked Sanjana for one thing, and Sanjana had refused. 

 "Bua," Sanjana said. 

 "Yes, dear." Meenakshi answered. 

 "I'll marry Rohit." Sanjana replied. 

 "Oh dear! That's wonderful news!" Meenakshi sprung forward and gave Sanjana a brief hug.  "I'll call Sudhir right away.  Don't worry, dear.  You two will have a long engagement, so I can keep you to myself a little longer." 

 She went off to find her phone, leaving Sanjana alone to think about what had just happened.  She was getting married to a man who knew nothing about her!

"Rohit, my son!  Sanjana has agreed!  Meenakshi just called to tell me that Sanjana has agreed to get married.  Meenakshi said on one condition though....you have to have a long engagement.  That's fine with me if that's fine with you." Sudhir burst into the room Rohit occupied when he came to visit his father, without even bothering to knock. 

 "It's fine with me, Dad." Rohit said dismally. 

 "Why the long face?" Sudhir asked. 

 "I'm getting married, you know, losing my freedom and shit." Rohit said with a hint of attitude. 

 "Do you really think I'm going to believe that you're upset over losing your freedom?" Sudhir answered skeptically. 

 "I want to meet Sanjana again before we get engaged." Rohit said seriously. 

 "Well, fine. I'll have Meenakshi arrange a meeting." Sudhir replied calmly, "Is that all?"

 "What if we don't get along?" Rohit finally divulged what had been bothering him.  "What if we don't end up happy?" 

 "Oh so that's what you're worried about." Sudhir understood.  "Rohit, once you get married, you'll understand what you need to do to keep your wife happy and to make your marriage work.  I know it's very difficult to understand Sanjana now, but once you two are married, she's going to have no choice but to confide in you.  You'll be her everything."  Sudhir said. 

 "Her everything?  Dad, I think you're getting a little carried away." Rohit chuckled. 

 "You'll see what I mean." Sudhir smiled, walking away. 

The day had arrived. Sanjana was supposed to meet with Rohit again. Meenakshi had taken Sanjana to work with her, and on her lunch break, the two would go down to Central Park to meet Rohit. Rohit had assured them that he’d have no trouble leaving the hospital for hours to meet with Sanjana. Rohit had late shifts that entire week, so this was the only way he’d be able to see Sanjana.

Sanjana sat patiently in her aunt’s office. After giving her a tour, Meenakshi had suggested that Sanjana go out and explore the city, but Sanjana was reluctant, especially after what had happened last time. Sanjana looked around the office. It was large and very private. Meenakshi’s desk was neat and had a modern design. Besides the chairs opposite her desk, there was a sofa in the corner beside the bookshelves. Sanjana waited there, liking the calmness of the private office as opposed to the haste outside, where the cubicles were.