Chapter Thirty

________________________________________

There's only one or two more chapters left. Sorry for the suspenseful ending, gotta love those. :) ahaha. Thanks for reading this far, and please enjoy! Remember to like, comment, and fan. <3 much love. :*

________________________________________

Chapter Thirty

Kendra’s P.O.V

We walked down the hall, my sneakers clicking against the marble floor. Everyone else had already split up, leaving Riley, Declan and I to locate Scar. We were still cautiously moving, given the fact that the surveillance hadn’t been shut down yet.

“Where do you think we should look first?” I asked. “We have to do this as quickly as we can, before anyone realizes that we’re in here.”

“He must have an office or something we can search.” Riley said.

I can tell by the look on Declan’s face that he’s thinking hard. His eyes are darting around the room, and his lips are pursed tightly. “I think I know where to look,” he said. “But you guys are going to have to trust me.”

And with one look, I can tell that Riley doesn’t want to.

“There’s a spy working for them, Declan.” He said, his voice low. “How do we know that’s not you? I’m trying my best not to accuse you, but I’m really past the point of trusting everyone I see. I don’t think trust is an option anymore.”

Declan doesn’t reply, turning to me. “Kendra?”

“I trust you.”

I feel bad saying it, knowing that Riley will definitely follow if I’m following. But I do trust Declan, and I want to find Scar. It may be a mistake, but it’s worth a shot.

“Alright,” he continued, beginning to lead the way. “So back when I was working here, there were a lot of heavily guarded places. Places that no one was allowed into, except for the men and women leading the project. They had those doors guarded like they were protecting the lord himself. I had a few theories what might be behind there, but I never knew for sure.”

I frowned. “What makes you think he’d be back there, though? It’s probably just important information that they don’t want to get out.”

“But there’s more,” he said. “He was always going back there. He’d probably get paged down there at least ten times a day, and I’d always see him going in or out while walking through the hallways. It’s possible that it’s his office, or maybe just a decoy room. But whatever it is, I think it’s our best bet at finding him.”

He could be leading us into a trap,’ Riley said, his voice echoing into my head. ‘I don’t think we should trust him, Kendra. Please just listen to me.’

“It’s not,” I replied under my breath. “We’ll be fine.”

‘You’re being reckless. We have to stop and think!’

“We don’t have time to stop and think, Riley.” I shot back.

Declan frowned, noticing our silent conversation. He continued leading us towards the room though, taking us up two flights of stairs and through a hallway of meeting rooms. “It’s just down this hall,” he said, walking ahead.

‘This is a mistake, Kendra. I’m not trying to get angry with you; I just don’t want this plan to fall apart.’ Riley thought.

“Get out of my head,” I whispered.