Chapter Twenty-Eight

*************************

Sorry for the super long wait. For any of you who are still reading, thank you so much. :) It means more to me than you could imagine. If you comment below, I'll also be sure to give you a shoutout, and a dedication. :) thank you, and enjoy!

*************************

Chapter Twenty-Eight

Isabel’s P.O.V

“What are you two up to?”

Brody and I spun around in terror, expecting to see a guard, or at the very least some kind of untrained secretary. But instead we come face to face to the lastly expected person we could think of – Declan.

“I saw your car out front,” he explained, taking notice of our confused expressions. “I came here because I noticed they were missing, too.”

“Well you came just in time,” I mumbled. “We’re trying to think of a plan.”

“Sounds like fun. What are the circumstances?”

“They’re somewhere in the building,” Brody said, fidgeting. “Somewhere on this floor, and there are most likely guards with them. If we want to break them out, we’re going to need to distract the workers. Once they’re gone, we’ll take the closest exit we can find, and get back home before they can track us. But we can’t do any of that until we find a way to distract them.”

Declan snorted, “You guys are stupid.”

“Excuse me?”

“Think about it for a moment,” he said sternly. “They’re trained. They aren’t going to leave a lockdown for anything… with one exception – a fire.”

My eyes widened. “We are not setting this building on fire.”

“I never said we were. There’s this thing called a fire alarm, you know. I used to get out of my third grade spelling bees because of that thing all the time.”

Brody nodded. “That makes sense. They’ll evacuate to find the fire, and that’ll leave Kendra and Riley unguarded. It’s the perfect plan.”

“False alarm,” I grinned. “Let’s do it.”

Declan smirked, walking off to the closest bright red alarm, and pulling down the lever. The moment it was pulled, a shrill siren went off in the air, pulling us back to our senses. All we had to do now was wait for them to run out of the room, and stay hidden from the guards. It was simple.

Right now, it was only a matter of time.

Kendra’s P.O.V

I ran.

I didn’t think I wanted to, at first. I didn’t think I had the courage to do it. But the minute the alarm went off, something inside me clicked, and I realized that this was our only chance. If we wanted to get out, we needed to get out now.

Riley seemed to be thinking the same thing, too, because the minute that I darted up from the chair I was in, he was right behind me, and we were burning the soles of our shoes trying to get away fast enough from Scar Face. He didn’t even have enough time to blink, let alone a moment to realize what was going on. And by the time he did, we were already out of the room, Isabel, Brody, and Declan in front of us. We didn’t even have time to question them before we were being leaded down the stairs, and out of the building. It all happened so fast that I don’t think any of us really had time to process what was going on.