Chapter 9

(unedited)

Jackson, Mississippi
1967

Toni
I threw a cherry across the bed for Lucas to catch in his mouth, which he did successfully. I giggled as I looked at him in pure ecstasy.

Having him back with me after six long and stressful months is really a blessing. And even though we still have to talk seriously about some stuff, this moment was blissful and couldn't be ruined by anything.

"So, Mister Charles and Missus Jenny kicked you out?" I asked starting up the conversation.

He shook his head before joining my on the bed. "I left on my own. Mae Beau told me that you were there when my father was beating me and for some reason it angered me that you heard the things he said about you." He caressed my cheek with his thumb.

"I'm here to protect you, Toni, and this beautiful baby girl we've created. Nobody is going to hurt you in any way shape or form."

I didn't hear the things Mister Charles said of me, which I'm glad about, but I'm also glad Lucas stood up for me. "I love you." I smiled.

There was another awkward moment of silence as I gathered questions mentally. "So after he beat you, why'd you stay away? Why didn't you come to me?" I didn't want to look like a crybaby, but all the hormones were kicking it up a notch.

He wiped my tears, "Don't cry, please. I feel like a monster." He said.

"Why did you leave me?" I cried.

"It was what was best for you, baby. If my father even sensed you on our property, it would've been over and I'd kill myself if I let that happen for selfish reasons. I told you, I was protecting you."

I looked up and fanned my tears away. I get where he's coming from but he left me alone pregnant and that's really messed up.

"How can I make it up to you?" He asked. "Want a foot massage? Or a back rub? Or you wanna have sex? Or all three." I laughed at his comments.

"I'm definitely in no mood for sex, Lucas, but a nice back rub would appreciated. Your daughter seems to love pushing her body against my spine." I said as I fixed myself in front of him in preparation for the back rub. Harper is constantly moving and it feels like she sometimes throws herself against my spine.

He dug his fingers in my back causing me to release a guttural moan. Just as it was getting good, he stopped. "Babeeee, why do you always stop?" I whined as I turned around.

"Because I got an ideaaaa." He mocked. He gathered all my pillows and made a circle out them, then used my blankets to cover the pillows and put inside the hole. I looked at him as he was excited about his invention. "What is it?" I asked.

"You put your belly in the hole which has cushion, thanks to Daddy, and the pillow will support and hold you up. Meanwhile, I will massage all your knots, nooks, and crannies."

I smiled and tried not to laugh at his "invention." "Okay, thank you." I giggled. I went to lay down but he held onto my arm. "This invention was made for naked, pregnant ladies." He smirked.

I love how much he loves my body and respects it, but a naked massage... who does that. "You are a spoiled brat." I said as I stripped naked.

"I can't worship my wife's body? Because if that's a sin, carve my name in a seat in hell." He joked. I rolled my eyes and laid down in the so-called naked, pregnant lady massage cushion.

He came hovered over my legs and started massaging my back again. His fingers have always been magical, but Lord Almighty, this was insane.

I actually fell sleep in the contraption he made and didn't wake until morning time. When I woke up, he was next to me with his arms wrapped around my body. I was so comfortable, moving didn't even cross my mind.

I traced his lips with my finger and led a trail across his sharp jawline. He is a little bit cuter when he's not awake, and his lips are so swollen. His ass of a father really knocked him good. Luckily for me, I have extra lip to kiss on though.

"Good morning, my love." I whispered as his eyes fluttered open. His beautiful blue eyes were shining bright and he smiled. "God, you're beautiful." He said. We shared a kiss before I sat up.

"I was thinking, well dreaming, that... Maybe you should meet my family today." I said. He sat up behind me and looked at me like I had six heads.

"Do they know that I'm... ya' know..." He was referring to the fact that he is white. And to be honest, I'm scared of what they will all say, too, but today marks seven months pregnant so I really don't have time for the secrecy.

"My mother does. She's cool with it."

"Last night you told me she stopped talking to you for six months because you told her you were pregnant. But the opposite race is okay with her?" He smartly questioned. I aggressively rolled my eyes and walked over to the window. "Get out."

He stood up quickly, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that." He took a few steps closer nervously.

"I don't care. I want you out, now." I sternly said.

"Baby, I have no home to go to. Please." He begged.

I stepped up to him and looked directly into his. "I. Don't. Care. Get. The. Hell. Out. Now. Lucas." It felt like an out-of-body experience talking to him with such aggression and anger. I didn't mean it but I did at the same time.

He kneeled and wrapped his arms around my belly making me drop my head back and rolled my eyes again. Here comes the dramatics. "Harper, your mother is so mean to Daddy sometimes, wait no, correction: All the time. All I want to do is love her and make another one of you and she doesn't feel the same." He said to my belly. I couldn't help but laugh.

"Then she does her little cute laugh and her nose gets all crinkly and her eyes get chinky. Man, just know, Mama is the one who won't give you a sibling. All Daddy wants to do is make a thousand of you because you are perfect and I know that already." He kissed my stomach and stood up facing me again.

"I'll leave." He said with barely a straight face. As he went to the window, he was pretending to sniffle and waving around the room as if there was an audience. "I love you, Toni Michele!" He yelled.

I wobbled over to him and slapped him upside the head. "Lucas. Seriously?" I laughed. He turned around and wrapped me in his arms. "LuCaS. SeRiOuSlY?" He mocked. I laughed and kissed him.

"Mm. Your hormones are bipolar." He mumbled in the kiss. Just as I was going to speak, there was a knock on the door then it opened....
——————————————————————————
going on vacation ❤️ be back in a week !!