Chapter 6

Jackson, Mississippi
1967

Toni
When I told my family I was pregnant, the reaction was good and bad. My mother was upset, terribly. She was hoping I was lying but I had to tell her about ten times: I was serious.

She almost strangled me, but Kenne and Aunt Rosa Mae had calmed her down. Then she left for a week, came back around Christmas. She had gifts for everybody... except me. That hurt but expected.

Now, a month later, we barely talk. That's the bad.

The good is my sisters have had my back and Aunt Rosa Mae has stuck around. For that, I'm beyond grateful and fortunate for them. Being nearly three months pregnant, I need the support.

"Good morning, sis." Kenne said. She's been around extra too. She handed me some tea and sat on my bed. "How's my nephew?"

I love how fascinated all my sisters are with my child. Lauren and Naomi swear it's a girl, but Kenne swears it's a boy. I think it's a girl.

"It is fine. I feel little movements, nothing major. Last night I was thinking of names with it's father. Wanna hear?"

I haven't told them the father is Lucas. It was kind of shaky with them just knowing I am pregnant, I think the whole 'I am pregnant by a white boy' conversation would've gotten my ass kicked out.

My family isn't racist, but to think of the years of slavery, they aren't too fond of white people.

"You saw the father?" Kenne asked.

"I see him all the time..." I nonchalantly answered.

She had a confused look on her face but smiling it off, "What names were you thinking of?" I knew there was something else she wanted to say but I've been quite snappy lately and easily irritated.

"If it's a girl we were thinking: Harper, Sophia, Madison, Paisley, Mackenzie, or Willow." I am so in love with Madison and Willow, but Lucas said Harper, Mackenzie, and Sophia sound like well rounded names. Paisley was just a random one.

"And since y'all are having a boy, what will you be naming my nephew?"

"For boys: Noah, Michael, Aiden, Carter, Hudson, or Bentley." As soon as I said Bentley, Kenne was all happy and started bouncing on my bed. "Mich, you have to choose Bentley.. or Aiden." She said.

"We'll think about it." I laughed.

"So now tell me about this mysterious boy who impregnated my sister. What's he like? Big, black, and beautiful? Or do you like the skinny ones?"

I looked down fiddling with my fingers. He's just perfect and white, is what I want to tell her but it's too risky. I looked at the clock and decided it was time to go. "Ken, I'll be back after work."

I got up and headed towards my door when she called me, "Toni, you know you can tell me anything, right?" I gave her a pathetic smile and nodded.

Lucas
"Lucas Alexander Smith! Get your ass down here!" I heard my mother scream. I started to panic because things have been really peculiar around here lately and whenever my mother screams and curses, there is definitely an issue.

I made my way downstairs and was met with my mother, who's face was a red as blood, and my father pacing the room. "Uh, what's going on?" I asked.

My father turned to me like I'd just threatened his life and stepped up to me. "What's going on?" He repeatedly mocked. "What's going on is you sneaking around with a fucking nigger!" He shouted.

"You and that nigger slave have been messing around under my fucking roof! And you've been wondering around this whole town seeing her! Have you lost your mind?!"

My head dropped feeling little drops of spit fly from his mouth onto my skin. I was trying not to get upset with him for insulting Toni Michele, and I was trying not to give off anything besides respect because Father is not very stable and would flip.

"Look at me when I talk to you, boy!"

When I looked up, he had punched me in my jaw. My mother gasped and screamed quietly making Mae Beau run out her room. "Oh m- Father! What are you doing?!" She screamed.

His madness was nowhere near finished, this man is an all time racist even though he hides it pretty well. He used to kill the negros that would "make the town dirty" at nighttime. He doesn't know we know that.

He grabbed me by my shirt and started punching me in any area my arms weren't blocking. My mother and sister were going berserk but weren't trying to stop him. He just keep hitting and hitting and hitting.

Mae Beau
As I watched Father beat the brains out of Lucas, I noticed Toni Michele walking up the pathway. The last person who needs to be here is her. If Father catches her, he'll kill her without even thinking twice.

I ran out the door while my mother yelled for me to come back in. I was just glad Father didn't take notice to me leaving. His attention was unfortunately on Lucas, but Lucas would want me to protect Toni Michele.

I ran up to Toni Michele and stopped her in her track. "Oh, Mae Beau... Are you okay?" She asked. My face was covered in tears, so that was an expected question. Plus, Toni Michele is so kind and always worrying about me. It was my turn to worry about her.

"Toni Michele, you need to turn around right now and go home. It's not safe here for you right now." I could tell she wasn't understanding because she was smirking. I didn't want to tell her Lucas was getting beat, but she wouldn't believe me if I didn't.

"Lucas.. Father is beating the mess out of him as we speak. I don't know why but when Father is angry, he is truly angry about everything." I said. She had picked up on what I meant and began to panic.

"This is my fault, Lucas is getting beat because we're having a baby?" She said with tears about to fall. I, on the other hand, was completely stunned.

"You're pregnant?"

She looked at me, realizing she'd spilled her own beans. "Is that not w-" She got quiet and looked around, "Yes, Mae Beau. I am, but you cannot tel anyone. Promise me that and I'll leave."

I looked at intensely.

Toni
I could hear Missus Jenny screaming her head off and Mister Charles cursing like a sailor. I looked at Mae Beau and awaited her answer. "Please."

"I promise. Please, go, you're too good and pure to let him get you. Leave and for your own safety, never come back. Ever." She said before running back inside.

I turned around also, and went back to where I came from while Lucas weighed heavily on my mind.
———————————————————————————