Who Are We Up Against?

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

Martin Luther King Jr.

CHAPTER 2

Who Are We Up Against?

"This year you will be facing other Victors ... capitol favorites ... smart, cunning, skilled ... they all know one another ... and you two are the outsiders."

...

"I want you guys to forget everything you think you know about the Games ... last year was child's play ... this year, you're dealing with all experienced killers."

...

It was a day after all the reapings were complete when Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark found themselves inside the Capitol. They were in nearly an exact replica of the apartment they were placed in last year for the 74th Hunger Games.

This year the Capitol built a new training center for all the Victors, and it was specially created for this year's Quarter Quell. It was a bit bigger than the year previous but still had the exact same layout. Every inch of every room still looked far too advanced for any District, baring the career Districts.

As usual; they were thrown into the suite on the top floor. Since the Hunger Games started, District 12 has always been given the top floor while District 1 would be on the first floor. The District numbers went up with each floor, so all in all, the building itself had twelve floors, not including the ground floor.

The only nice thing about the training center is that they were on the top floor with a nice view, if they wanted to see the city from afar, of course. Last year it was learned that they could change the scenery on the window so really, if they wanted to pretend they were somewhere else, they could. Although, even that was far stretching for what they really felt about this place.

"Cashmere and Gloss." Haymitch Abernathy started to introduce after getting the videos ready to play. He pointed to the TV screen hanging from the wall next to him. "Brother and sister from District 1. They won back-to-back games. They're Capitol favorites so that means they're gonna get lots of sponsors."

The two people on the screen were the definition of a Victor from a career district. Even though they were from a Career District; the two teenagers could begin to imagine what the two must be feeling about this. The two siblings will go head-to-head and one of them will die. Only one person was going to get out of this arena alive, just like every year. Katniss was sure President Snow would never let what happened last year go on repeat. It's why she was planning on making Peeta win no matter what.

Cashmere and Gloss were probably in their late twenties from what they could tell. They were shown on stage to be holding hands while smiling brightly towards everyone in the crowd. The two were already working their magic to gain as many sponsors as possible. Their attire was simple, but it gave an aura of power. Everything about them looked styled to perfection to make a lasting impression.

"They WILL be lethal."

Haymitch clicked a button on the gadget in his hand when he pointed it briefly towards the screen. The video changed to the next one in line. The next two tributes looked different from the last two. They appeared to be more enthusiastic that they were chosen to participate in this year's Hunger Games. It was their chance for more glory and wealth. They cheered loudly with their hands raised in celebration. It was obvious they were going to be allies in the arena – all the Career Victors probably would be.