Who Can Be Trusted?

CHAPTER 5

Who Can Be Trusted?

Later that evening; Katniss and Peeta were in their apartment after training had been completed for the day. Although, for most people, it wasn't so much training as it was showing off their skills or just hanging around for the day. The pair were seated around on the sofas keeping quiet, drumming their fingers lightly against the material as they waited for their mentor to arrive.

"Good news." The mentor in question announced his presence in a loud voice as he appeared from the hallway.

All three of them were out of their attire for the day and in more comfortable clothing consisting of cotton leggings, light tanks tops and shirts, soft jumpers and cardigans. On their feet were boot-like slippers that were soft on the inside that made their toes feel snug within.

Peeta stood to greet his mentor the moment he walked in but Katniss stayed where she was on the couch, only to look up from her spot to listen. They were anxious about what they were going to be told – only having been given information from Effie that there was some good news. The woman then proceeded to leave them unaccompanied while she ventured to find some of her Capitol counterparts.

"At least half of the tributes want you as an ally."

Peeta wasn't all that surprised with the news and he could understand why Effie was acting as if it were Christmas before she left. "They saw her shoot." He explained with a slight shrug to one of his shoulders. Anyone with a brain would understand how skilled Katniss truly was with a bow and arrows. As far as he was concerned, she was one of the best. They hadn't seen any of the other tributes show off their skills with the weapon.

Although, everyone had to keep in mind that it didn't mean they don't know how to use one in the same manner. Just like in the regular annual Games – any tribute could be withholding a secret skill that no one else knows about.

Haymitch gave a nod of approval as he stared between his two tributes. He was pleased that Katniss of all people had followed his advice after all. "Well, sweetheart, you've got your pick of the litter." He told her.

Katniss glanced back at Peeta once before turning back to Haymitch. She already made up her mind hours prior to this conversation. "I want Wiress and Beetee." She replied.

When she first thought of her choices – there was already a reaction from her mentor stamped into her brain. Her choices were exactly the wisest, but in the end, she found them to be a hell of a lot more trustworthy than any of the career tributes lined up this year. She found herself liking Beetee and Wiress. She didn't have a problem being around them for a short period of time before they would have to part ways in the arena.

Peeta sighed to himself with a small nod as if he had already known she would pick those two.

"Joanna calls them 'Nuts' and 'Volts'." He voiced but didn't outwardly disagree with the choices. He did have to admit, it was better to play safe and choose non-threatening allies rather than career tributes that would probably just murder them in their sleep.

Haymitch didn't look too pleased with the choices but he gave it to her anyway since there must be additional tributes she wanted to pick. "Okay, well, who else?"

"Caroline," Katniss answered after a moment.

She ignored the less than delighted look on her previous two choices.

Haymitch stared at her as the wheels turned in his head for multiple reasons. This was a good start. He could work with this. "Caroline?" He reiterated, "You do realize that if you take her,t you'll have to take Finnick as well?" As much as he was joyful towards the fact that Katniss had willingly chosen Caroline as an ally - it did leave the decision in a bit of a pickle because a certain male was missing from her choices.