Chapter 6 - 16 weeks

Now nothing much happened for me around 16 weeks. But at my routine appointment, we finally got to hear our baby's heartbeat. Hearing that 'da-dum, da-dum' is the most special feeling in the world, but not as special as when you get to hold your baby for the first time. The midwife got all the routine check ups out of the way first. She measured my bump and of course my baby was growing nicely. There was nothing concerning about my pregnancy at this point, so of course we moved onto hearing our baby's heartbeat. The midwife picked up the Doppler and began explaining how it worked. I was too giddy about hearing my baby's heartbeat to even care about how the damn thing worked. I thought 'just bloody hurry up woman, this is the moment we've been waiting for'. Finally, she switched the Doppler on and placed it against my belly whilst holding the box in her other hand. There was this sort of 'swish swoosh' as she moved it around. Suddenly that changed to  the 'da-dum, da-dum' we had both been waiting to hear.

We looked at each other and smiled. "That's our baby's heartbeat." I exclaimed excitedly. That sound would forever be etched in my memory for years and years to come. I had my routine blood tests as normal. The most annoying thing though is you're not allowed chocolate much, or energy drinks and as most of my friends know energy drinks is what keeps me going. I'm not one of those people that live off of energy drinks, but if I was feeling low on energy they gave me that boost I needed. There was no kicking or hiccupping as of yet for me. Just fluttery movements. It was almost like there was a butterfly inside of me. The kicking didn't start until a bit later on for me. I had those kicks to the bladder yes. Constantly making me pee. Little bugger. But not kicks to the belly. Now most people get up to 40 weeks before they go in labour or some even go over, but as you'll find out later on that wasn't the case for me.

But one thing we both had to do was find somewhere new to live. Also, we got a maternity grant around this point I think.  I honestly can't remember. The reason we had to find somewhere else, well there are two reasons: 

1 Our landlady didn't accept children.

2 There wasn't enough room in our single room, which was turned into a double room for a baby.

So of course when we got further along, we had to get a letter off of our landlady to say she'd be evicting us soon and that we'd be homeless. Luckily for us somewhere eventually came up. We didn't have to move anywhere though until we had gotten the keys to our new flat. Everything was progressing nicely. Slowly we began to pack our things ready to move later on.

Apologies about this chapter being short but nothing much happened. I had no morning sickness throughout, just dry retching towards the end. Everything else was pretty much okay from here for a little while.