Chapter 14

please don't forget to vote and don't be afraid to tell me your thoughts on the characters and stuff

Chapter 14

Aaron hummed a song by a band called Into The Unknown. They were such a great band; Hazel had introduced their music to him before she had left. Aaron sighed, he missed her so much and he knew Andre did too, no matter how many times he denied it.

Aaron often wondered what Hazel was doing and how she was coping. When he found out that Marlon had send a spy to get her back he was relived, but he knew Hazel would be mad when she found out. How long would it take for Hazel to be brought back? That’s the question that was on everyone’s mind.

“Andre!” Aaron called to his younger brother. Hearing his name Andre jogged to meet Aaron.

“What’s up?” he asked half-heartedly. Aaron grinned at him and gave him a knowing look.

“You miss her don’t you? Just admit it. We all miss her, there’s nothing wrong with wanting someone back.” Aaron explained. Andre scowled.

“How many times do I need to tell you guys, I don’t miss her? I miss annoying her.” He bellowed before retreating to his room. Aaron simple shook his head and laughed.

***

“So are we just wondering around aimlessly or something?” Hazel asked, wrapping Dimitri’s jacket tightly around her, inhaling his scent. The midnight rain had completely soaked her jacket and he had wrapped his jacket around her in the night. 

“No, I was thinking we could go to this place that takes in teenagers who have run away. They give us warm clothes, food, water and shelter for free.” Hazel lifted her head up to look at him. Somehow the way Dimitri had said it wasn’t very convincing, but she agreed anyway.

“Ok, how faraway is it?” she asked, looking around at all the farm animals. Sometimes she wished she could be an animal and live a simple and calm life.

“Umm… it will take around a week at the max.” Dimitri relied. Hazel stared at him and shook her head. A week?

“Are sure they will help us?” Dimitri nodded his head.

Dimitri really hated lying to Hazel, it was one of the draw backs of his job, but how could he refuse the most influential man in the country? He couldn’t. At least now, after all those weeks of trying to get her attention, he could finally talk her. He smiled at the thought, the things he’d done to get Hazel to talk to him! Yet none of them worked. He wanted so badly to impress her that it had nearly cost him his job! Now it was just him and her.

“Alright then let’s go there!” Hazel replied with a sudden burst of energy. She was so unpredictable, but that was one of the things he liked about her. Dimitri grinned and ran to catch up with her.

“Let’s play a game.” Dimitri suggested. Hazel tipped her head to the side, making her look incredibly adorable.

“What game?” she asked creasing her eyebrows. Dimitri smiled thinking about how lucky he was to have been chosen for the job.  “You know it was such a great coincidence that we are both running away and found each other, now I don’t need to be out by myself.” Dimitri’s smile faltered however he regained his smile with a fake one. Ignoring the lie he had told her, he answered her question.

“Let’s play twenty questions?” Dimitri suggested. Hazel thought about it for a while, she didn’t want to give away information that could get her into trouble. In the end she agreed.

“Ok, you first!” she exclaimed in an excited voice.  Dimitri couldn’t help but smile.

“What is your favourite colour?” he asked her, trying to think of a better question. This was his chance to get to know her and he didn’t want to waste it. 

“Hmm, probably Hazel.” She replied with a cheeky grin. Dimitri flashed her a grin of his own

“If you could change anything about you or your life, what would it be?” Dimitri was hoping that he could help her with whatever it was; after all he did have the support of the country’s richest man.  When Hazel didn’t answer, he turned to look at her. She seemed to be thinking quite hard. It was then that he noticed the shimmer in her eyes, she was crying!

“Are you ok?” Dimitri’s eyes filled with concern. When she nodded her head he knew she wasn’t alright. He wished he could do something, but he was trained to deal with sticky situations, not sad ones.

“My whole life.” She whispered. Dimitri’s eyebrow creased in confusion, but only for a second as he realized what she meant.

“Well I don’t wish to change that. If it was changed, I would never have met you.” He said with all honestly. Hazel gave him a weak smile and continued walking. Dimitri wished he had asked a less emotional question.

***

Before long, Hazel was hungry and the sun had began its daily decent. Her stomach growled and she frowned. She knew that Dimitri had heard it, but she didn’t want him to worry about her. He hardly ate anything! He always gave her more than eighty percent of the meal.

“Sorry! We should have stopped before and you should have been already eating by now. I’m sorry!” he palmed himself in the forehead. Hazel looked up, surprised.

“Why are you sorry?”

“Because I should have found us somewhere for the night hours ago and now you’re hungry and I haven’t gotten you anything to eat yet!” he replied, angry at himself.

“Us! For us to eat, not just me. And there’s nothing to be sorry for, it’s not your responsibility. I should also carry my own weight and care for myself.” Hazel told him. Dimitri didn’t seem convinced. It was almost as if he only looked out for Hazel and didn’t care about himself.

“This place will do for now.” He replied, throwing his bag on the ground at an alleyway. “Will you be ok while I go to get some food?” he asked. Hazel nodded so he went to find something edible. 

Dimitri yanked out his phone and turned it on. He had three missed calls and he knew who from. Making sure Hazel hadn’t followed him, he dialled the number.

“Hello?” a deep voice answered.

“Good evening sir, it’s Dimitri.” There was a silence.

“How are you going? Any success?”

“Yes sir. I’ve got her, we should be there in about a week at the max.” with a word of thanks, he hang up. Making sure no one was looking again, Dimitri went to find Hazel some food. please vote? what do you think about Dimitri. is he evil or good?